none
Two WHS Boxes On Same Home LAN? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of building up a second WHS box to serve as an occasional-use NAS.

Besides trying to have them back each other up, are there any gotchas lurking for two WHS machines on the same LAN?
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 11:05 PM

All replies

• I'm in the process of building up a second WHS box to serve as an occasional-use NAS.

Besides trying to have them back each other up, are there any gotchas lurking for two WHS machines on the same LAN?
    First, I don't know of any way to get them to back each other up (assuming you mean the OS).  If you mean just the data, why not just use Folder Duplication on all of your shares instead?

Anyway, the "gotchas" I know of are 1) a single client cannot be connected to 2 WHSes at the same time (in terms of backing up your clients) and 2) setting up Remote Access for both servers at the same time is unsupported and extremely difficult (if not impossible).
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 11:39 PM
  • Make sure the server names are different and they have different IP addresses.

Cruise
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:06 PM
  • Make sure the server names are different and they have different IP addresses.
    Got that far, and the new server (call it "Server2") can see the old server's shares (call it "Server1").

But now I am trying to make Server2 headless by installing the WSH connector software on one of my other PCs.

When I run WHSConnectorInstall, it offers up a dropdown that contains both Server2 and Server1.

But when I choose Mongo and hit OK, it issues a prompt  "Windows Home Sever Connector is already installed.... Setup will uninstall and then reinstall.....".

Is this what I want?   Or is it going to hose my ability to open a console into Server1?  (i.e. is it going to re-install with an option to choose which server, or is it going to just re-install with Server2 at the expense of Server1?
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:36 PM
  • You can only join a PC to a single server. Joining to the server DArdath will require you to abandon your connection to FGordon. You will back up to DArdath, DArdath will deal with password changes, you will be unable to use FGordon's Remote Access web site to connect to your computer, etc. You will, however, be able to use the shares on either, though you might have to enter credentials for FGordon if you change your password. 

Note that You will have to choose one server or the other to activate the Remote Access web site on.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:45 PM
  • You can only join a PC to a single server. Joining to the server DArdath will require you to abandon your connection to FGordon .

Is that to say that a given PC can only have the ability to connect to a single server (i.e.  concurrent connections aren't on the table... but the ability to connect to fGordon now, then disconnect, then connect to dArdath an hour later would be helpful).

I suspect the answer is "No"......

If so, more a convenience issue than anything else.    I'm just using the second server as a NAS. 

I do my "real" backups  to portable devices that are stored offsite; but those devices are not big enough to include the very high-volume stuff: recorded TV shows and ripped DVDs.

Since I can't get a re-install off the ground, I plan to copy the recordings/DVD rips to the second server, do a new install on a new system drive, and then restore from the second server.  

After that, I might use the second server for occasional total backups, but more likely it will probably never be used until I need to do another "reinstall" that's really a fresh install.

The web thingie and backing up other PCs are not even in the picture.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Switching back and forth is pretty easy. Assuming both servers to be at the same Windows Home Server patch level, you can run (on the client) C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe. This will allow you to select a server to join, reconfigure backups on that server, etc.

In your scenario I wouldn't bother, though. Where this becomes more useful is if you have a second location that you spend significant time in (say several days or weeks at a time). You may want to have a second server in that location and switch your laptop from one to the other when you relocate.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:21 PM
  • In your scenario I wouldn't bother, though.
    I'm starting to feel even more stupid than usual.

No installs/reinstalls of connector software needed.

All I need to do is RemoteDesktop into Server2, since that server's desktop offers up a console into itself.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:31 PM