Wrong Primary Drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. Finally able to get my server to see the Primary IDE and the 4 satas that I have. However, one of the 1.5 satas is from my BETA system (that had the OS). And, for some odd reason it selects that as the PRIMARY even though the IDE was Primary before i had hooked them up.

Do you think I could unplug the 4 satas (that I was planning on using 2/mirrored), install WHS, then plug them back in?

Theoretically I would think that it would just recogize them no problem but....I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance...

Friday, November 25, 2011 8:16 PM

Answers

• Phil, and Ken.

Instead of opening up another topic I thought you guys would probably know so...I am very close BUT have another issue.

Okay, I had 4 .15 TB drives and mirrored two, fine. However at the end of mirroring I have the following:

Drive 1 with 1.4 TB WITH 217GB Free? And

Drive 2 with 1.4 TB with 991 GB free. Strange to me. Now, down below under Server Backups is a drive icon without a name and no way to click on it. I think maybe that has somehow become the Backup Drive? But how do I get rid of it?

I am not sure what is going on so can anyone offer any ideas? Also, I was thinking, do you think it would be better to take all four 1.5 and build a giant RAID 5 pool? I think that would get me 4.5 TB with the other drive for parity?

FYI, I don't have any issues deleting or redoing any of this as I don't have any data there yet so.

Thanks again guys.

• Marked as answer by rdmsys Monday, November 28, 2011 9:32 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 1:53 PM

All replies

• See if your BIOS offers a way to set the boot order.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 25, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Thats the thing Ken, I have it set in the BIOS, however, when WHS starts to install, it lists all the SATAS first and the Primary IDE last. Don't I want to install with two of them anyways? Then add the other two and use Windows mirroring, converting all the disks to dynamic.

I think I will pull that one out along with another, install to the 250 using the other two as data, and then add the OTHER two back in as mirrors.

Does that sound right?

Thanks again Ken!

Saturday, November 26, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Do you think I could unplug the 4 satas (that I was planning on using 2/mirrored), install WHS, then plug them back in?

Yes, that should work without problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 5:14 AM
  • Okay, I have tried EVERY combo of the four and the IDE, still wants the satas as primary every time. Phil, thinking about above though, won't it try to create all the folders on the IDE drive? I'm thinking that that would be bad?

When I add the 2 main drives that I want to use will I have to allocate all of the drives manually to all of the folders?

I thought during the BETA that you were allowed to pick the drive that you wanted the OS on?

Could this be happening because the drives are somehow marked from the beta somehow?

I wish I knew how WHS selects the primary drive.

Anyways, Phil if you could expound on my question thinking that it would be okay I'm just going to do it. I've had enough screwing around with it! LOL....

Thanks!

Saturday, November 26, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Yes it will create your shared folders on the boot drive. This is how I got around that problem when moving from the Vail RC to production WHS2011. This or a number of variants should work for you:

• In Vail, moved all shared folders to my main 2TB data drive
    • Shut down Vail and removed connections to 2TB drive and did a fresh WHS2011 install on the 500GB boot disk on which Server Folders were created.
    • Shut down server and reconnected 2TB drive. Booted and renamed all Server Folders on 2TB drive as NameOld (e.g. MusicOld)
    • Ran the Move Folder wizard from the Dashboard to move Shared folders from D: to E: (2TB drive).
    • Logged in locally and moved files from MusicOld to Music (both on same 2TB disk) and deleted the NameOld folders.

This worked for all my data and took no time at all as there was no copying from disk to disk. I could not get the old client backups to work so deleted them all and started again.

You could follow this Microsoft method:

When the server detects that a server folder is no longer shared (for some reason or another), or if the client computer backup folder is missing, an alert is be generated to guide the user to resolve this issue. It is recommended that you to try and restore the folder from server backup. However, if the server has not been backed up, select the missing folder and click Recreate the missing folder to reconfigure the location of the server folder.

Once you restore or recreate the missing folder, it should no longer be listed as Missing.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Okay Phil, you are the man! Thats what I'm going to try! Some questions:

1) Will the move folder "reallocate" space based on the new drives? I don't think you specify folder sizes correct?

2) And, I imagine that I want to set up the mirror drives AFTER installing the two main but BEFORE I move all my data there correct? I'm good in that I am starting over so I don't have to worry about moving data around. Once I am up and configed I will just move everything over.

Thanks again Phil!

Saturday, November 26, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Yes and Yes
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Phil, and Ken.

Instead of opening up another topic I thought you guys would probably know so...I am very close BUT have another issue.

Okay, I had 4 .15 TB drives and mirrored two, fine. However at the end of mirroring I have the following:

Drive 1 with 1.4 TB WITH 217GB Free? And

Drive 2 with 1.4 TB with 991 GB free. Strange to me. Now, down below under Server Backups is a drive icon without a name and no way to click on it. I think maybe that has somehow become the Backup Drive? But how do I get rid of it?

I am not sure what is going on so can anyone offer any ideas? Also, I was thinking, do you think it would be better to take all four 1.5 and build a giant RAID 5 pool? I think that would get me 4.5 TB with the other drive for parity?

FYI, I don't have any issues deleting or redoing any of this as I don't have any data there yet so.

Thanks again guys.

• Marked as answer by rdmsys Monday, November 28, 2011 9:32 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 1:53 PM