Who is this product for? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed WHS last night.  I actually found it quite by accident because I was looking for a good NAS solution to deal with the 000's of GB in our family's home net.  If most families are like ours, there's one computer geek (that would be me), and the rest are just normal users.   So as it relates to the console, who is the primary user of that?  (the geek).  If that's true, then why is the interface dumbed down?  I dont seem to have the control I want.  OK, let's take the opposite side of the house, the user computers.  How are THEY supposed to access shares?  From a web broswer?  Are you kidding me?  WIth no Picture Preiview?  It looks too FTPish for regular users.   MS has designed a very nice and elegant Vista experience as it relates to folders but I think they just eliminated that advantage.   If the answer is the users have to access the shares via the console, then that doesnt work either.  For example, in the "Shared Folders" button in the console, what happens when you double click it? (like everyone does in the Vista file system?  It opens the properties box, not the folder!   How many end users are going to think to press the right mouse or search the page for the little "open" button?  I was expecting a more integrated solution here.  I think the backups are nice but leave all of that junk to a full featured console and dont sacrafice the end user experience.  I would have to give this a thumbs down so far and may continue to seek out a NAS soltuion so i can seamlessly integrate the file shares into the Windows expereince (like file save, open, etc from any Windows application).  Maybe if they can simply allow a Mapped Network Drive to the general shares and then to their personal folder that might do the trick.

I almost think of it like this:  WWAD.  What Would Apple Do.  The client access as to be a no-brainer. WHS cant be seen as an "add-on"or make the user have to learn something new.  WHS should be Windows Hidden Server, and be completely invisible and seamless to the end user.

Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:31 PM

All replies

• The "average" user won't go near the console, check your desktop, see the shortcut "Shared folders on server" try that or go to network places, you can map the shares to drive letters on the client if you wish.

Gordon

Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:40 PM
  •  GordonTGopher wrote:

The "average" user won't go near the console, check your desktop, see the shortcut "Shared folders on server" try that or go to network places, you can map the shares to drive letters on the client if you wish.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, I was trying to do JUST THAT but for some reason, it's not showing up when I right click. Is there another way?
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:41 PM
  • open  my computer
    right click and select add network location
    that will launch a wizard use it to find the folder you are looking for on your network
    click finish
    done

you might also want to look into setitng up a program like orb you can authorize multiple user accounts to be able to see the content (Photos, Music, Video) through a simple password protected web interface that has a media center feel to it vs a Ftp feel.  the website is www.orb.com
    install the software on your home server
    have everyone who youd like to be able to use the service create a free account on the orb website
    once you have orb installed add in those user accounts that were created
    also configure orb to watch the shared folders you have content stored in ( You will need to do this for each account you add)
    once you get the configuration done anyone with a user account you added to the software can now go to
    www.mycast.orb.com login with their username and password and view the content you authorized them to
    nice thing is they can do this from any internet enabled pc in the world and as wel as being able to download the content they can also stream it make playlists  so on and so forth
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 7:09 PM
  • After you've had it installed, and your users have tried it for a few weeks, you'll understand.  If your users are savvy enough to open a folder on their desktop, it IS seamless.  It is invisible.  And if you want more control, you can RDP into the server itself (not the WHS console) and tweak to your heart's delight -- just don't break anything, or you'll have to reinstall.  What would Apple do?  Not this, apparently -- they're focused on induhvidual consumer appliances right now...
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 9:46 PM