Small problem when logging on to WHS console remotely ? ideas please RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently testing a 120 day WHS evaluation install.
    When I log on to the WHS console through the remote connection via Internet Explorer as the console is displayed I get a Hardware Installation popup window saying that "The software you are installing for this hardware: Printers has not passed Windows logo testing etc etc,
    It's the same window you get when installing a piece of hardware with untested drivers.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening as can't understand why this is happening.

Thanks, Jason
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:13 PM

Answers

• HARRYSPADGE said:

Ok, I thought that was what was happening and tried to switch off the setting that brings the printer feature to the client (in the RDC window) but am unable to switch it off permanently.

Is there a permanent way to stop this happening ?

Hi,
    you should be able to disable the attempt to install the drivers by following procedure. Login to the Windows Home Server desktop and perform following steps:
    • In Start menu click Control Panel/Administrative Tools.
    • Open Terminal Services Configuration.
    • Right click RDP-TCP and select Properties.
    • On Client Settings tab click the checkbox to disable Windows Printer Mapping amd LPT Port Mapping.
    • Click OK and confirm the message.
    This will stop the propagation of client printers from server side generally.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by HARRYSPADGE Saturday, February 14, 2009 12:17 AM
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:58 PM

All replies

• The WHS Console is an application that runs on the server; it's hosted in a Remote Desktop session to display on the client (which could be your browser). Remote Desktop supports forwarding print jobs from a remote server to a local printer if one is configured. You get that warning when a printer driver is available on the server for your local printer, but the driver hasn't gone through a series of tests.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Ok, I thought that was what was happening and tried to switch off the setting that brings the printer feature to the client (in the RDC window) but am unable to switch it off permanently.

It's kind of annoying having to shut down the popup window 2/3 times everytime I log on to the console.
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:39 PM
  • Because of the way remote access to the console works, no there is no way to turn that popup off.
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:44 PM
  • OK, Thanks for your replies Ken.
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:47 PM
  • HARRYSPADGE said:

Ok, I thought that was what was happening and tried to switch off the setting that brings the printer feature to the client (in the RDC window) but am unable to switch it off permanently.

Hi,
    you should be able to disable the attempt to install the drivers by following procedure. Login to the Windows Home Server desktop and perform following steps:
    • In Start menu click Control Panel/Administrative Tools.
    • Open Terminal Services Configuration.
    • Right click RDP-TCP and select Properties.
    • On Client Settings tab click the checkbox to disable Windows Printer Mapping amd LPT Port Mapping.
    • Click OK and confirm the message.
    This will stop the propagation of client printers from server side generally.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by HARRYSPADGE Saturday, February 14, 2009 12:17 AM
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:58 PM
  •  Thanks Olaf, just did what you described and it worked perfectly - no more annoying popup.

Jason
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 12:18 AM
  • While it's true that what Olaf suggests will work, direct Remote Desktop access to your server is unsupported and (since this is just a warning that a driver can't be verified, not something critical) not really required. I honestly wouldn't bother.

Saturday, February 14, 2009 3:02 PM