none
Backup Failed - "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup"

Question

•  

I am using HP MediaSmart Server 470 with 4 x 500gig hard disks.  Attached are two computers a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 Vista Ultimate laptop and an IBM T41 XP Pro Laptop.

I have read the various threads regarding volume snapshot errors and have found similar problems but not the same... hence the new thread.

First off the XP machine has never suffered a VSS error, it seems to work fine.

The Vista machine however fails intermittantly with the above mentioned error.

I have done the following;

1. The Lenovo repair (service) partition is excluded from the backup.
    2. I have checked that I have enough free disk space (about 50gigs free)
    3. I have run Chkdsk /f /r
    4. The machine is connected directly via a gigabit router.
    5. The machine is not going into sleep or hibernate
    6. I have checked that the VSS service is enabled, I have tried it set to Manual and Auto, currently it is set to Auto
    7. I do not think it is a Anti-Virus or Firewall related issue as it fails intermittantly.
    8. I do not think it is Diskkeeper 9.0 that came with the Lenovo T61 as the problem is intermittant. Although I wonder if Diskeeper and VSS try to lock the disk to perform their processes, but this seems unlikely.  On checking the Application logs I can see Diskeeper finishing and WHS Backup starting later.

The only thing I have noticed relates to the file system and chkdsk.  When I checked the WHS backup log this morning it said the backup had failed due to the snapshot error.  I tried to run a mnual backup, again it failed due to a volume snapshot error.  I ran Chkdsk from within Vista (I told it not to fix errors).  Chkdsk ran fine and did not report any errors.  I then ran another manual backup and it worked fine.

In the Vista machine Application Error Log the following messages were generated when it tried to run the Auto backup last night.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details PreFinalCommitSnapshots({0015c823-1781-4b42-a9ea-d062fae900d1}, 1) [hr = 0x8000ffff].

Operation:

Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:

Current State: DoSnapshotSet

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details PreFinalCommitSnapshots({6c525d9a-9e8c-4adf-ab06-cb0705e580eb}, 1) [hr = 0x8000ffff].

Operation:

Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:

Current State: DoSnapshotSet

Backup set 10 on 29PLMSERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: VSS Operation timed out ---> System.TimeoutException: VSS Operation timed out

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.Wait(IVssAsync va)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet..ctor(VolumeInfo[] volumes)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Nik

Friday, February 15, 2008 2:41 PM

Answers

• I had the same Windows Home Server backup issue on one of my systems running Windows Vista (and later on Windows 7 RC1). Nothing I found in any of the related forum posts helped.

After taking a closer look at the installed VSS components on the problematic system using 'vssadmin', it turned out that there seemed to be a "leftover" VSS provider from a previous (properly uninstalled) Norton Ghost. That's at least the only somewhat plausible explanation I can come up with.

First, take a look at the providers in the system:

C:\Windows\system32>vssadmin list providers

vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'Symantec Software VSS Provider'
       Provider type: Software
       Provider Id: {262b716e-bb23-41b5-aaef-e2c15e767167}
       Version: 1.0

Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
       Provider type: System
       Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
       Version: 1.0.0.7

The 'Symantec Software VSS Provider' was suspicious. So, I simply went into regedit, searched for its name, and removed the two related provider entries.

Another 'vssadmin list providers' confirmed that the Symantec provider entry was indeed gone:

After that, my Windows Home Server backups worked like a charm again. I am not saying that you will see the same Symantec VSS provider, however, my point is that it probably does not hurt to take a peek at your providers, and see if there is anything questionable to be seen.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:31 AM

All replies

• I'm seeing exactly the same error on two of my Vista SP1 machines, except that I can't even get the manaul backups working. Did you find a solution?
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:30 AM
  • 1. Diskeeper may very well interfere with VSS service.

2. Defragging (Diskeeper) will significantly increase backup size on most default installs. This is due to the fact that even Diskeeper will not change the content of the (generally 4KB) clusters it does reorganise them. Since VSS is based on 16 KB cluster size many will appear changed.

3. There may not be enough space to store the shadow copies (possibly also due to increase in shadow copy size caused by Diskeeper)

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:03 PM
  • Sorry, I wasn't clear but I'm not using Diskeeper on either of my client machines which are experiencing the error. They are both running Vista SP1 32-Bit pretty much out-of-the-box apart from Kaspersky Internet Security
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:11 PM
  • I have now upgraded my machine to Vista SP1, but before that I disabled diskeepers set and forget defrag setup and changed it to a once a week defrag at a time I know that backup will not be running.

This test has only been running for two days one pre SP1 and one with SP1 both days have worked fine.

At first I thought it couldn't be Diskeeper because I coouldn't see why that would intefere with VSS services, but as a test I have also been running the Microsoft backup program that comes with vista.  This failed on one occasion (it also uses VSS) and this failure led me to believe it is Diskeeper.

I also have Kapersky.

I will let you know if it fails again.

Look for something that would stop VSS running a utility that is doing something on the harddisk.

Hope this helps.

Nik

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:34 PM
  • Perhaps a wild guess; I recall reading somewhere that Kaspersky IS in combination with Vista caused this problem. Upgrade to the latest Kaspersky version apparently cured it. Can't find a link to document this.

If you have some other Internet Security solution ( trial from whatever package) you could try replacing Kaspersky (temporarily) to see if this fixes your problem

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:47 PM
  • Okay, so the backup failed again last night.... so much for the Diskkeeper theory.

After the backup failed I tried to run a manual backup.... this failed too.  I ran chkdsk (IMPORTANT - telling it NOT to fix errors) it ran fine and reported no errors.

AFTER the chkdsk ran, I ran another manual backup.... it worked fine.

I do have Kaspersky internet security 7 but it is completley up to date.

Is anybody else having this proble,?

Does anybody have any more ideas.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:06 PM
  • Nik, I'm seeing exactly the same thing.

Auto backup failed yesterday so I tried a manual backup. That also failed.

I then ran chkdsk but told it not to fix errors.

Last night's auto backup worked fine.

I really don't understand what's going on. I'm also running Kaspersky Internet Security 7 and am fully up to date
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:27 PM
  • I have the same problem popping up with the EX475. 

I was using the 120 day trial version for strictly backups and it was running fine with a Vista desktop and an XP laptop.  I uninstalled the connector on the Vista machine and ran the setup fo EX475.  Connector installed again and all seemed perfect.  The next morning i saw the VSS error.  I rebooted the Vista machine and performed a manual backup with no problems.  This morning i have the VSS error again.  I never had errors when i used the 120 day trial version of WHS.(except for a lil corruption issue with multiple disks, that's another story)  Kaspersky is 7.0 on both machines. 

3Dog
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 12:44 PM
  • I've been running WHS on an EX475 since late November. About two weeks ago I started getting this error on one of my XP Home SP2 clients. Manual backup also fails. There was nothing of value in the WHS logs or event viewer on the WHS. This machine has loads of disk space (400GB+) free.  I did not have time to troubleshoot it further, and after 6 days of failure, it backed up successfully. All was well for a week, and then the error was back two nights ago.

I do not run Diskeeper or any other defrag on this client, I do have AVG antivirus and MS Defender running on it.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. I will try the chkdsk and see what is in the client logs tonight. But I would like to chime in while MS seems to be monitoring these forums that this is not an uncommon issue.

Joe
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 1:26 PM
  • I've been reading posts about this problem and just realized what I did to make it work. (read 1st post)  I rebooted the Vista machine, but did not log in.  I ran the backup now command from a laptop logged into the WHS console.  This makes me think that something in my startup config is interfering with the snapshot process.
    I will follow up but that at least gives somewhat of an explanation.
    JALynn, have you installed anything since your last known backup?
    It's also a good idea to run CHKDSK /f /r
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 3:06 PM
  • I got so frustrated I eventually called Microsoft to see if they could resolve the problem. 

The reason being that I had been testing backups with Windows Vista backup software as well (this uses VSS).  The Vista backup would run where the WHS backups wouldn't work.  Then suddenly the Vista backup also failed with a VSS error.

Anyway after a long time on teh phone to MS technical we completed the standard script and I was told I needed to be sent to level 2 support.  At this point I decided to rebuild my machine.

A few things I had noticed prior to rebuilding my machine.

1) VSS would not run

2) Chkdsk was nt running properly.  During the boot up it would try to run chkdsk and fail with an error message saying that it could not lock the disk.  This is at start-up not from inside windows.

So after rebuilding my machine before I got too far down the line I checked if Chkdsk would run.  Strangly with a clean install of Vista it was failing with the same locking error message.

This led me to reset teh BIOS on my compute to defaults.  Suddenly chkdsk ran with no problems.  After some trial and error I found a BIOS setting that allows USB power via the USB ports even when the computer is off.  I don't know why and I haven't tested further but with USB power enabled chkdsk failed to lock the disk at startup.  WIth USB power disabled Chkdsk runs fine.

I have now completly rebuilt my machine and WHS backup has run many times so far without problem.

I have a Lenovo T61p

I also have a Lenovo T43p with Vista SP1 that has never experienced these problems.

I also have a Lenovo T41 with XP that has never had any problems.

So my guess is that VSS is failing due to some type of boot up setting that is stopping VSS from locking the file system.  I do not think it is diskkeeper or Kaspersky as neither of these would be running prior to a CHKDSK /F /R.  But I don't know that for sure.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 3:23 PM
  • That's a great find.

I just did a chkdsk and logged into Vista.  Right clicked my WHS icon and Backup Now.  It's backing up like a champ.  Kaspersky is still disabled from the last attempt but it didn't work prior to the chkdsk.  I hope I'm done with this error.  I'll keep this up to date.
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 6:02 PM
  • I have 3 client PC's and the one with Vista OS&n******sp;(others are XP) recently started getting this error in addition to "the network connection ******etween the computer & server was lost".&n******sp;&n******sp;This&n******sp;Vista PC had ******een ******acking up fine prior to SP1 auto update.&n******sp;&n******sp; Su******sequently, I have not ******een a******le to get a complete ******ackup at all with it usually failing very near the ******eginning.&n******sp; Coincidence?&n******sp; &n******sp; I think not!&n******sp; So, right after getting the snapshot error, I read this thread...then I shutdown ZoneAlarm... and it just completed it's&n******sp;******ackup.&n******sp;&n******sp; Hmmm...

&n******sp;

I'm going to re******oot and see if it'll ******ackup with ZoneAlarm running now.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:12 PM
  •  

Wow.  That post above is possibly the weirdest thing I've ever seen.  Not sure why that happened.  Let's try again:

------------------------------------------------------------

I have 3 client PC's and the one with Vista OS (others are XP) recently started getting this error in addition to "the network connection between the computer & server was lost". This Vista PC had been backing up fine prior to SP1 auto update. Subsequently, I have not been able to get a complete backup at all with it usually failing very near the beginning. Coincidence?  I think not! So, right after getting the snapshot error, I read this thread...then I shutdown ZoneAlarm... and it just completed.  Hmmm...

I'm going to reboot and see if it'll backup with ZoneAlarm running now.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:24 PM
  • I had the same Windows Home Server backup issue on one of my systems running Windows Vista (and later on Windows 7 RC1). Nothing I found in any of the related forum posts helped.

After taking a closer look at the installed VSS components on the problematic system using 'vssadmin', it turned out that there seemed to be a "leftover" VSS provider from a previous (properly uninstalled) Norton Ghost. That's at least the only somewhat plausible explanation I can come up with.

The 'Symantec Software VSS Provider' was suspicious. So, I simply went into regedit, searched for its name, and removed the two related provider entries.

Another 'vssadmin list providers' confirmed that the Symantec provider entry was indeed gone:

After that, my Windows Home Server backups worked like a charm again. I am not saying that you will see the same Symantec VSS provider, however, my point is that it probably does not hurt to take a peek at your providers, and see if there is anything questionable to be seen.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:31 AM

Also to fully cleanup this VSS Provider try this:

- Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Component Service.
    - Click on Component Services.
    - Go to Component Services>Computers>My Computer>COM+ Applications.
    - Identify the "Symantec Symsnap VSS Provider".
    - Right Click on that and delete that entry.
    - Close the component services

Thanks alot humboldt27 for fixing this issue.
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 5:10 PM
  • Thanks for the great info.

I had the same problem getting my primary PC (Windows 7 RC, 64-bit) to backup. Three other PCs running XP Pro and/or Windows 7 RC 32-bit backup fine.
    I never had a successful backup until just now after trying humboldt27's suggestion.

I had previously installed, and cleanly uninstalled, StorageCraft ShadowProtect Desktop, just to try it.

Running the vssadmin list providers command gave the following result:

vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative comman

Provider name: 'StorageCraft Volume Snapshot Software Provider'
       Provider Id: {24602736-bed9-4619-91b0-243447c6409c}
       Version: 1.0.0.0

Edited the registry to remove two listings:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\VSS\Providers\{24602736-bed9-4619-91b0-243447c6409c}]
    @="StorageCraft Volume Snapshot Software Provider"
    "Type"=dword:00000002
    "Version"="1.0.0.0"
    "VersionId"="{00000001-0000-0000-0000-000000000001}"

AND

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\services\VSS\Providers\{24602736-bed9-4619-91b0-243447c6409c}]
    @="StorageCraft Volume Snapshot Software Provider"
    "Type"=dword:00000002
    "Version"="1.0.0.0"
    "VersionId"="{00000001-0000-0000-0000-000000000001}" .

The vssadmin comannd then showed:
    vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative comman

The Home Server backup then ran fine for the very first time on this PC.

Thanks for the help humboldt27

Monday, August 31, 2009 10:12 PM
  • To jump in on this thread - thanks for all the suggestions on how to solve this problem that I too am experiencing. Same error message as original post. Problem happening on a Win 7 RTM box. WHS is HP 470ex. Backups were working for about 2 weeks, then stopped with failure message. (no, I cannot remember what might have changed at that time, sorry). Backups on other PCs working fine. Attempts to do manual backup via right clicking the WHS icon result in same failure. Also, this is a dual boot box but I am about to delete the Vista partition as I switch over to Win7. I have not booted to Vista for a few weeks. WHS see the Vista boot as one PC and the Win 7 PC as another PC, so that should not make a difference.

I have run chkdsk /f /r on all disks
    I have run vssadmin list providers and found only the VSS listing as described in previous posts.
    Using Sophos Small Bus Suite for a/v, spyware and firewall (the problem PC is also part of a MSSBS2003 network in addition to being connected to the WHS, but this has worked fine for a year or so).
    Over 1 TB of disk space available on the WHS.
    Volume Shadow Copy service set to Manual on the Win 7 PC.
    Diskkeeper not installed.

In another thread on a SQL newsgroup, someone reported something similar and it was suggested that SQL be uninstall and reinstalled but no details were given on the best method to accomplish this and I did not want to do this without feedback from the WHS group. I have one instance of SQL for MS Outlook BCM 2007. It was recommended that I change the MS SQL Server Active Directory Helper to Manual from Disabled and I did that but it had no effect.

Here is the event log error message:
    Event ID 770
    Source: HomeServer

Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: VSS Operation timed out ---> System.TimeoutException: VSS Operation timed out at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.Wait(IVssAsync va) at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes) at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet..ctor(VolumeInfo[] volumes) at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch() at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

Would appreciate any further suggestions.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:59 PM
  • Bill What worked for me was running the series of script lines which re-registered specific .dlls. Do a search on this forum and see if that helps. Phil
    • Proposed as answer by Bill75080 Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:12 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:47 PM
  • Thanks Philip. I found the script that you mentioned and tried to run it. Some of the files re-registered, some did not. Then rebooted and tried to backup again - the backup failed again.

Then a day or two went by without me trying to do anything and the backups started succeeding again. Very strange but I will not look the gift horse...

Thanks,

Bill in Dallas
    Bill
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:17 PM
  • All,

I have had this issue with only one of my four PC's. I also realized reading other blogs that in my COM +Applications wasn't leting me see anything and showing an error. I went to my error log, on the PC with the issue, and guess what...

Could not start the MS DTC Transaction Manager.

So a look at my started and automatic processes and had seen it disabled! I also decided to compare the list to an origonal list I had printed out about a year ago and found a few other items that were set for automatic were no longer!

I think this may have been an issue done by me about six to eight months ago when I needed to stop some resource hogs to make gaming a little bit faster than having a quad core act like a pentium!

I have fix them and things are, so far, ok!

P.S. It could be from "GameBosster" from iObit or that dang tweaking.

Hope this this helps.

Monday, November 23, 2009 5:32 PM
  • Thanks JRBLS66. My Win7 PC started not backing up again after working fine for 7 days. Problem reoccured on 11/21. Same error as before in the Event Viewer - error 770 with a VSS timeout. I am able to perform a backup using the Win7 backup program, just not the WHS backup, either automatic or manual.

I browsed the Event Logs (application and system. No mention of a DTC Transaction Manager problem, but I followed your advice and found that DTC was not enabled in the Local DTC Properties.

Next I examined my Services and compared them to a list a default services I found at blackviper.com. Only two things were different (other than some services set to Manual being Stoppedrather than Started) was Netlogon which was set to Automatic and I changed it back to the default of Manual and the Windows Driver Foundation User Mode was set to Automatic rather than the default of Manual. I left that one alone.

Still open to suggestions.

Bill in Dallas
    Monday, November 23, 2009 11:19 PM

Great tip! Thank you very much! I had the same problem, got rid of the Ghost entries and it worked perfectly!
    Monday, December 21, 2009 2:47 PM
  • I too had problems with WHS failing to create backups. I got the error "The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup". The backups were running without issues before and one day just stopped. I couldn't remember doing anything that would interfere with the automated backup settings. With the ideas generated from the posts above, I found a different solution to the problem than others have identified.

In the Event Viewer tool under Applications, I noted this VSS error:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider (SWPRV) service is disabled. Please enable the service and try again.

I had disabled this service trying to troubleshoot another problem and apparently left it disabled. When I set it to manual, per Microsoft recommendation, my WHS backups worked properly again. See TechNet article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734425(WS.10).aspx.

I hope this post helps you find the solution that works for your system.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:18 PM
  • exactly what was wrong with mine.  I deleted the two registry entries, rebooted and the backup worked.  Thanks.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 11:11 PM
  • This article worked for me.  http://www.unproductivitydefined.com/2010/05/problems-with-windows-7-and-windows.html

The recovery partition had zero free space and you have to have 40MB or so. 

Saturday, July 17, 2010 4:29 PM
  • I had this same thing occur on a Dell D620 laptop running Vista Ultimate SP3.

I found that the COM+ System Application service had not started.(It was set to Manual)

Restarted that and the Volume Shadow Copy service, then freed up some space on the Recovery Volume (though it had about 64 Mb free already)

Backup now runs. Not sure which of the above was the real fix.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:43 PM
  • Here is a solution I found on another thread and it worked for me.

Quote from other thread:

I had the same problem; whs not backing up my xp pro machine,continously saying run chkdsk etc wich i had done a thousand times. Volume shadow copy service running etc. etc.

Untill vssadmin list writers gave error 0x8000ffff wich i searched for on internet; the following lines worked for me,at the time i'm writing this my system is finally being backuped by whs (in my opinion,it's a pitty that whs is depending on a 'faulty'client)

Here are the magic lines:

1. From command prompt:

Cd windows\system32
    Net stop vss
    Net stop swprv
    regsvr32 ole32.dll
    regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    Vssvc /Register
    regsvr32 /i swprv.dll ------- I was able to register it, before Iwas getting error 0x8000ffff
    regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 es.dll
    regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 vssui.dll -------- I had XP, I guess this should work for 2003 only.
    regsvr32 msxml.dll -------- the last 3 depend on what XML versions you have installed.
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll -------- if you get error here, re-install corresponding XML version
    regsvr32 msxml4.dll

net start vss
    net start swprvc
    • Proposed as answer by BruiserZBT Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:24 AM
    Friday, September 3, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Great thread, thanks to everyone for contributing.

I had the same symptoms. There was no third-party VSS provider. The System Managed partition was 2 GB in size, 350 MB free. The DTC and VSS services were set to manual.

This was an HP workstation with a custom image that includes a 2 GB System partition, the OS volume, and a 7 GB HP Recovery partition.

I excluded the HP Recovery Partition from the backup and that solved the problem. I'm happy with this workaround because as long as this user has this PC, the WHS backup will cover us. If we need to do an HP restore, we can restore the image from another workstation and then run the HP recovery. Maybe the problem was a lack of free space on the HP Recovery partition, I dunno. I've asked the customer if they want to pursue it further, or just leave it as is.

Paul Sterley

Brute Force Technology, LLC

• Proposed as answer by SandbergPDX Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:57 AM
    Friday, September 17, 2010 11:53 PM
  • The recovery partition was probably full; they usually are. It also may not have been formatted with NTFS.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 2:46 AM
  • THANK YOU HUMBOLDT27.  After about a week of trying different things, your solution worked!!!  Thank you!
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:04 PM
  • This did the trick for me. Thanks!!!
    • Proposed as answer by cmccoll_MS Saturday, February 5, 2011 6:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:25 AM
  • I am having this issue and I'm at a lost. I've tried a couple things on this thread but this is whats happening on my end:

whenever I use cmd promt as admin, and I try typing in net start swprvc, it says the service name is invalid.

I also tried the dlls but I always get that error when trying to register the dll. (regsvr32 /i swprv.dll) I also can't go to - Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Component Service.
    - Click on Component Services.
    - Go to Component Services>Computers>My Computer>COM+ Applications.

when I click on COM+ Application, I get an error....

any help is appreciated.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:19 PM
  • This article worked for me.  http://www.unproductivitydefined.com/2010/05/problems-with-windows-7-and-windows.html

The recovery partition had zero free space and you have to have 40MB or so. 

After copying my OS to a new hdd my system partition was 48MB w/ 28MB available.  I followed the instructions in this article to create a new system partition (128MB) and make it active.  Followed by removing my old system partition from the WHS backup.  The backups are now successful again.  You do need to remove the old system partition from the WHS backup as my backups still failed with this selected.  
    Saturday, September 1, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Hello everybody, 

I have got the same error with my brand new Lenovo Twist, shipping with Symantec Norton. I have tried everything mentioned in this thread nothing helped - is there any other possible solution? 

Thanks in advance! 

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Hello everybody, 

I have got the same error with my brand new Lenovo Twist, shipping with Symantec Norton. I have tried everything mentioned in this thread nothing helped - is there any other possible solution? 

Thanks in advance! 

I assume it has an EFI/GPT boot, in which case it can't be backed up by WHS2011 (see release notes) until Microsoft issue a fix.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:48 PM
  • Hello Phil, 

yes, I got in touch with a Microsoft Server Specialist here in Austria, and he told me the same. WHS does not allow GPT/EFI backups. 

And I am afraid, but I think we will not see any update through this, because WHS is based on Server 2008, and Microsoft launched Windows Server 2012 Essentials. As a student, I have access to a Windows Server 2012 license, does it worth to update my server to the latest if though I just use it as a better NAS atm? 

(Windows Server 2008R2 and later support GPT/EFI backups FYI) 

• Edited by Stefan Schm Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:07 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Hello Phil, 

yes, I got in touch with a Microsoft Server Specialist here in Austria, and he told me the same. WHS does not allow GPT/EFI backups. 

And I am afraid, but I think we will not see any update through this, because WHS is based on Server 2008, and Microsoft launched Windows Server 2012 Essentials. As a student, I have access to a Windows Server 2012 license, does it worth to update my server to the latest if though I just use it as a better NAS atm? 

(Windows Server 2008R2 and later support GPT/EFI backups FYI) 

Microsoft has stated they are planning to provide this capability on WHS2011 and are currently working on it.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 6:55 PM