none
Removing folders from a sync pair RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I´m syncing a folder (with subfolder) to another drive, using the echo option left to right.

E.g. on the left there´s C:\Source including subfolders A, B and C and on the right F:\Target

Let´s assume I sync several time over the source of several days, then decide that subfolder B does have some files not worth being backed up.

Now I try to exclude subfolder B, and it is shown as being excluded. However, the total size of F:\Target is not reduced. I expected that the directory of F:\Target\B (including all subfolders) would be deleted, reducing thus the size of F:\Target.

Any ideas why this doesn't work?

Thanks,

Adalbert

Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:27 PM

Answers

• Hi -

Unfortunately this will not work today. The SyncToy UI deliberately forces subfolders to be excluded on both sides which means we will delete the files on the right hand side. So today you are going to have to manually delete the files on the right hand side.

However, I believe this is a valid feature ask for the Echo option and I will make sure this gets considered for a future release.

Thanks

Deepa

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:55 PM

All replies

• Hi -

You are right - in the Echo option if you exclude a folder on the left, it should end up deleting the folder on the right. The only reason SyncToy will not do this - is that if there are changes on the right hand side to the files. What happens if you do a preview? Nothing shows up as being deleted on the right?

Thanks

Deepa

Monday, September 15, 2008 6:22 PM
  • Hi,

yes, when I do a preview no changes are found and no actions are waiting to be taken.

There should be no changes on the right hand side except the defragmentation tool possible working on some files sometime, but other than that it just is a backup.

Just in case it´s necessary: my computer runs Windows XP SP3, German

Here`s an example of a new folder pair I created just for testing:

left folder - C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\user\Desktop\Unterhaltung
    right folder - G:\AutoBackup\Unterhaltung

The folder "Unterhaltung" has a few subfolders.

Initially the options shown are "All subfolders included". I click on "change options" and "Select subfolder" and remove the subfolder "movies" by unselecting it on the left side. It is also unselected automatically on the right side.

Listed among the options for the folder pair now: "Some subfolders included".

Preview shows no result and no operations to be done, including nothing to delete. Pressing run results in no action being taken.

The subfolder "movies" still exists and includes several files.

I now click on "Change options", select "movies" again. It´s also re-select on the right side. The option shown changes back to "All subfolder included". Preview shows no operations to be taken.

Do I do something incorrect or is this a bug?

Thanks for suggestions,

Adalbert
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:18 PM
  • Hi -

Unfortunately this will not work today. The SyncToy UI deliberately forces subfolders to be excluded on both sides which means we will delete the files on the right hand side. So today you are going to have to manually delete the files on the right hand side.

However, I believe this is a valid feature ask for the Echo option and I will make sure this gets considered for a future release.

Thanks

Deepa

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:55 PM
  • I also experienced similar problem with Echo option in a sort of way. Basicaly I excluded file (big one about 2GB) on left side, It was automatically unticked on right side too. However with every time I do sync, I still can see that this file is being copied to right folder (what obviously takes ages). Just to add that my backup folder (the right side one) is not accessed by any other program apart SyncToy.

I will be very grateful for advice!

Jan

Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:22 AM
  • I use a program to file synchronization, which is called File Sync. Auto file and folder sync software (http://www.fileutilityblog.com/archives/232) is a necessary thing for everybody. That is why I use this program and haven't such problems. Did you use it? What do you think about it?
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:30 PM