HOW LARGE (MBs) IS WINDOWS LIVE ONE CARE? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to find out how big a program Windows Live One Care is.  How many MBs is it?  Do you know if it is larger or smaller than Norton Antivirus?  If I install WLOC, then does that replace Windows Defender?  Does it also do the same thing as AdAware and SpyBot? 

And finally, my laptop is getting old.  I usually don't like things that update automatically because they really bog it down when I'm working.  It keeps saying it doesn't do this.  Does anyone with an older computer know?

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 11:37 PM

Answers

• OneCare will be lighter in usage than Norton according to may people. Size of the program in memory on my Vista machine is currently showing about 30,000K idle.

OneCare replaces Defender, yes. It will disable it. AdAware and Spybot both are good programs to keep and run on demand to cleanup random spyware. OneCare will not delete or block 3rd party tracking cookies, you can block them in your browser settings. Just be sure to not run Tea Timer or AdWatch as real time protection from Spybot and AdAware.

Yes, OneCare does check for updates throughout the day and applies themmm in the background. Usually this is not resource intensive.

-steve

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:57 AM

All replies

• OneCare will be lighter in usage than Norton according to may people. Size of the program in memory on my Vista machine is currently showing about 30,000K idle.

OneCare replaces Defender, yes. It will disable it. AdAware and Spybot both are good programs to keep and run on demand to cleanup random spyware. OneCare will not delete or block 3rd party tracking cookies, you can block them in your browser settings. Just be sure to not run Tea Timer or AdWatch as real time protection from Spybot and AdAware.

Yes, OneCare does check for updates throughout the day and applies themmm in the background. Usually this is not resource intensive.

-steve

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:57 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.  I guess now my only remaining hesitation is it running updates through the day.  I have just always disabled this function on other programs because it has been slowing me down and sometimes I think there's something wrong since I don't know when to expect it to happen.  And I don't leave my laptop on at night to do things then. 

Very helpful.  I may be tempted to try it if only to see if it will use less space and free up some hard drive. 

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:10 AM
  • Lostribe,

You know, one way to get around your system slowing down when you are doing something important, is to go into your task manager and give the program you are using a higher priority. I do this all the time with WinWord when I am running several programs at once, but want what I am writing in Word or Outlook to take a higher priority than anything else running on my machine.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 12:01 AM
  •  

Thank you for the tip.  I think that will help sometimes.  I run some court reporting software and a digital audio player for it and sometimes it seems to run slower than others. 

I did remove my uninstall files to a flash drive.  I guess they were mostly all zipped because it didn't save nearly as much as it initially looked like it was going to, but it did help, gave me about 30 mbs or so.  I'm still in a zone where I'm operating okay, but it seems like once I use half of the gigs for the drive, it begins affecting it.  And of course, every new thing takes up space!  Thanks a lot for all the help.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 12:08 AM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

OneCare replaces Defender, yes. It will disable it. OneCare will not delete or block 3rd party tracking cookies, you can block them in your browser settings.

-steve

Hi again.  I removed Defender after installing One Care, and now when I run Ad-Aware, I have MANY more "critical objects" than I ever had before.  Where 2-7 was the norm, each time I've run it since removing Defender and Norton Antivirus and installing One Care, it is over 20 objects, and that is each day, as opposed to collecting say 5 in a week before.  What is causing this?  Are those what you refer to as third-party cookies above?  If so, my cookies are already set to block the third-party cookies, because I just checked.  If not, why isn't One Care catching these ad tracking objects? 

Monday, August 20, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Without knowing what AdAware is reporting, I can only speculate that they are cookies. Defender and OneCare share the same antimalware detection signatures, so the switch from Defender to OneCare would not be the cause of the increase.

-steve

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:25 AM
  • Odd.  Could it be the difference in firewalls?

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 2:42 AM
  • No, the firewall won't block cookies as it is nothing more than http traffic coming with the browser.

-steve

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:54 PM