Deja Vu - Errors exist in a client computer backup! RRS feed

• Question

• On 2/10/11, I reported in this forum that there was a critical error showing on my server; however, it's the client database that's broken, not the server. At least I recognized the real problem the second time around.. Per instructions from JOnas, I filed a bug on 2/11 about the problem: <https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/642932/automatic-backup-failed-with-errors-with-no-external-alerts> reporting this issue.

I repaired the errors in ComputerCare-D and have periodically checked to see how things were progressing. For five days, from 2/14 through 2/18, both my desktop and my netbook have backed up without fail, so I thought I was home free and that my troubles were over.

Not so! In checking today, I find that the desktop has not been successfully backed up since 2/19 and Netty hasn't been backed up since 2/18. I'm not sure which one of them is the culprit, but I suspect the desktop again, since it did back up on 2/19, but Netty did not.

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:07 AM

All replies

• On 2/10/11, I reported in this forum that there was a critical error showing on my server; however, it's the client database that's broken, not the server. At least I recognized the real problem the second time around.. Per instructions from JOnas, I filed a bug on 2/11 about the problem: <https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/642932/automatic-backup-failed-with-errors-with-no-external-alerts> reporting this issue.

I> repaired the errors in ComputerCare-D and have periodically checked to see how things were progressing. For five days, from 2/14 through 2/18, both my desktop and my netbook have backed up without fail, so I thought I was home free and that my troubles were over.

Not so! In checking today, I find that the desktop has not been successfully backed up since 2/19 and Netty hasn't been backed up since 2/18. I'm not sure which one of them is the culprit, but I suspect the desktop again, since it did back up on 2/19, but Netty did not.

=========
    Well, ding-blast it all! Netty failed in its backup at 51% last night. In fact, the whole computer froze up and I couldn't do anything but a hard shutdown! I tried repairing its backup database, but was told there's nothing wrong with it. So, I started backup again this morning . . . I'm now at 65% and it looks as if the thing's frozen up again.

This is really not something I'm having fun with. :(

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Sounds to me like there is something wrong with the particular computer..  Netty could have a hardware issue that's causing the failures or lockups.  I have 3 pc's on my network and they all have backed up flawlessly.  do a chkdsk and then perhaps a program that will check the memory of the pc in question.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Sounds to me like there is something wrong with the particular computer.. Netty could have a hardware issue that's causing the failures or lockups. I have 3 pc's on my network and they all have backed up flawlessly.  do a chkdsk and then perhaps a program that will check the memory of the pc in question.

=======
    I just uninstalled and reinstalled the Connector on Netty, and it once more backed up successfully.

What I'm beginning to suspect is that when the backup database on my desktop goes bonkers, even after repairs, nothing else on the network will back up. I'm going to test this by adding Lappy to the mix next, because I have no reason to suspect that backup for the desktop won't go bonkers again. :(

My bug is still active, and I added information to it this AM. I will add this latest tidbit also.

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:32 PM