Thurstonian for ranking: declaring and initializing pairwise ranking array RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to implement the Thurstonian model for pairwise ranking. I ran into a problem defining elements of the pairwise ranking VariableArray<bool> based on pairs of elements from the scores VariableArray<double> array.

An item is represented as an VariableArray<double> of scores and is of length n. Each element of the array is a Gaussian RV. Mean is defined by an inner product of respective feature vector (observed) and parameters vector (VectorGaussian and is learned). The variance is hard-coded for now.

I need to declare and statistically define the pairwise ranking VariableArray<bool> which is associated with the scores array described above. The size of this array is n-1. To define first element of this array, I need to compare first and second RV of the scores variable array using ">" factor. To define the second element, I need to compare second and third from the scores variable array. And so forth. How can I write that in Infer.NET using "Variable.ForEach(...)" constructs? Or differently.

To train the model (infer the parameters VectorGaussian posterior), I have an array of items. Each item has a potentially different size (different number of feature vectors) and respectively scores and respectively the outcomes. I created a jagged array for features and a different one for outcomes to realize that I cannot index pairs from scores

VariableArray<VariableArray<double>, double[][]>

to statistically define the outcomes (

VariableArray<VariableArray<bool, bool[][]>>

). Also I cannot write a comparison "using(Variable.If(scores[item][feature]) > scores[iteam][item][feature+1])".

The problem looks twofolds (1) scores array of array and outcomes array of arrays have different internal ranges (2) unclear how to write comparison when adding/subtracting integer from range in "Variable.If(...)" construction is not allowed.

The work code is on GitHub:

https://github.com/usptact/Infer.NET-LTR/tree/master/Infer.NET-LTR

Look at the Model.cs file where I defined variables and started to design the model. The Reader.cs and Program.cs should give an idea about the data. The sample data is in a "sample.ltr" file and follows SVM-Rank format. There are two items and each is 3 feature vectors big.

In my code I have three outcomes: ">" is true, "<" is true and draw option. Perhaps I need to simplify the code to two outcomes for now.

A route that I don't want to go, is to instead of VariableArray's use .NET arrays. I guess that would be fairly inefficient.

Thanks

• Edited by usptact Tuesday, November 28, 2017 5:57 PM
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:29 AM

Answers