Ghosts shares in homegroups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a weird issue with the homegroups shares from my WHS2011.

One of my shared folders (Recorded TV) appear 3 times on the homegroups share when I browse homegroups from the clients (from every clients I have).

When I open one of the 3, regardless which one, I access to the shared files without any workarround.

If I browse the network from a client PC, the shared folders appears only once, so it's only something that appends in the homegroups.

If I stop the share, one of the 3 disappear, the 2 other stay... and the shared film remains reachable by the clients machine!! When I reshare, the third one show again.

It seems that theses "ghosts" appears after I had move the folder from one disk to an other.

It's a little weird, and I'll like to delete this ghosts, but I really don't know how. I've looked into the regisrty with "Recorded Tv" and "HomeGroup", but nothing usefull.

Somewhere it should be some kind of flag that was not well delete after the "move the folder" action, but it's really well hidden.

If someone as an idea, your welcome ;)

Thanks,
    Le_Poilu

(PS: sorry for my strange english, little Frenchy here ;) ) 

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:50 AM

All replies

• Somewhere it should be some kind of flag that was not well delete after the "move the folder" action, but it's really well hidden.
    If someone as an idea, your welcome ;)

Hi,

First, try rstarting the server (as you probably allready did)?

Just assuming/guessing here:
    When moving a folder sometimes the original data folder on disk is left behind and renamed to some temporary name suggesting it was deleted.
    You can check this by remoting to the server desktop and opening the "ServerFolders" directory on the servers data partition(s). If any there: try deleting it - after double-checking for any files left behind.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:15 PM
  • Sorry for the (really) late answer.

Issue fixed by stopping homegroup and creating a new one ont WHS.

I tried lot of things, it's the only way that fixed the problem.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Out of curiosity, did you try deleting the home group, then creating another on a client and joining the server to that? If so, what happened? Same thing?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:43 PM
  • No I didn't try that.

I stop the homegroup on WHS (WHS was the homegroup creator/provider), exit the homegroup on every client, then recreate a homegroup on WHS.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:15 AM