Pre-populate fields and Links RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

New to Dynamics but finding my way slowly.

We have customers that we prefix with a 3 letter code.
    To help with reporting at a later date I concluded that it would be best to have the customer name and the 3 letter code that is associated with the customer in different fields. 

However this means that users are required to select a 3 letter code and then the customer name.
    Is it possible to setup Dynamics so that when a user selects the 3 letter code, that it automatically selects the correct customer name in the field below it?  If so, how?

Another question - I have created a custom field within 'Contacts' and it does seem to appear within 'Accounts'.  Is it possible to do this?  If so, how?  If not, what is the main reason for not allowing this?

Thanks all

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

With reference to your first Q, are you trying to say the 3 letter code being selected by the user is a lookup field on some form? If yes, you can do that by adding the letter code field in the QuickFind View of the customer entity.

Im not very clear to what do you mean by a field below it? is it some plain text field? Yes, that can be populated by writing a js on onChange of the letter code lookup. You can use oData to fetch the name of the customer with the help of 3 lettercode. (Not sure how it will help as the lookup will show the customer name)

2nd Q - what did you mean by "and it does seem to appear within 'Accounts' "??

Karishma

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 11:16 AM