none
convert incoming email to case

Question

• I am a beginner in CRM and have the following question...

Is there a manner to convert incoming emails (with a structured message body) to a case in crm?
    Let's say CRM receives an e-mail with data in the message body to create a new case.

How can I achieve this customization?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    K.

Monday, August 23, 2010 8:43 AM

Answers

• Thanks first for your prompt response, but I have also one more question.

I'll give more info...

A client fills in a form on a website X.
    Website X sends an structured e-mail to CRM.
    CRM receives that e-mail with in the message body
    of the e-mail data that is needed to use on case level.

In the e-mail body I have the e-mail(customer), title, subject,...
    When I create a workflow where can I filter the body of the message to use the values in the body
    to fill in the fields at the case record...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Kr

In this case, as I mentioned previously, you can create custom workflow activity to include the custom logic to parse message body extract the customer, title, subject etc & then create "Case" accordingly. Then create workflow on "Email" entity to add step to call this custom workflow activity.

To create custom worlflow activity, refere "Custom Workflow Activities" topic from MS Dynamics CRM SDK 4.0 where you will get all information about creating, registering custom workflow activity, adding it in workflow form & some sample code.

One thing I want to mention here is : as workflow executes asynchronously, you may experience some delay in case being added.

Another way could be creating plug-in to achieve the same.

Thank you.

JayshriP.

• Marked as answer by crmkr Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:27 AM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 11:40 AM

All replies

• Monday, August 23, 2010 8:47 AM
  • You can create a workflow for the same. Create a workflow for entity "Email". In workflow, add step "Create Record" to create "Case". Set the appropriate properties.

OR

if you need to create "Case" from information in Message Body i.e to set the "Case" attributes from parsing message body of email, then it's better to create Custom Workflow Activity to include custom logic to create case from text in message body. & then create Workflow for "Email" entity to include the step for Custom workflow activity created. Set the workflow to run on demand.

Thank you.

JayshriP.

Monday, August 23, 2010 9:59 AM

I'll give more info...

When I create a workflow where can I filter the body of the message to use the values in the body

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Kr

Monday, August 23, 2010 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

Based on this requirement I will suggest you to write a plugin on email create, there you read email body and create case based on that.

Refer http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd393295.aspx for plugin development

Mahain : http://mahenderpal.wordpress.com
    Monday, August 23, 2010 11:04 AM

I'll give more info...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Kr

In this case, as I mentioned previously, you can create custom workflow activity to include the custom logic to parse message body extract the customer, title, subject etc & then create "Case" accordingly. Then create workflow on "Email" entity to add step to call this custom workflow activity.

To create custom worlflow activity, refere "Custom Workflow Activities" topic from MS Dynamics CRM SDK 4.0 where you will get all information about creating, registering custom workflow activity, adding it in workflow form & some sample code.

One thing I want to mention here is : as workflow executes asynchronously, you may experience some delay in case being added.

Another way could be creating plug-in to achieve the same.

Thank you.

JayshriP.

• Marked as answer by crmkr Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:27 AM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 11:40 AM
  • Sorry I know this post is a bit old. I thought I'd update this post as this seems to be a common need. After coming across this post, we decided to use Email Parser which helps you parse incoming emails and mail attachments.

As I said in my other post, we had to extract row data (lead per row) from Excel using Parserr. But they do email parsing too.

Full disclosure - through talking to the founder of the business, Im happy to vouch for them and help them along. Which is what Im doing here.

Friday, March 17, 2017 12:29 PM