WHS Connector and VPN RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have the WHS connector installed on a laptop that I also have a VPN client running on (AT&T) for work.  However I notice that when I launch the VPN client and connect the connector no longer is able to connect to the WHS.

I can still map a drive like normal using the DNS name of the home server.  However I notice that when I ping the WHS it resolves to something else off my network.

Is there a way to force the connector to use an IP address so it stays local?

Monday, March 12, 2007 7:20 PM

Answers

• It really depends on your VPN client.  Apparently it is a single tunnel client, and you would need a dual tunnel client to be able to connect to both networks simultaneously.

pete

Monday, March 12, 2007 7:31 PM
  • I can see both of my networks.  Everything works fine.  It seems like the connector tries to access something and searches out through the VPN network first before going local.

I map drivers and everything on my local network just fine even with the vpn software running.  Its just the connector not working.

However,

I think I have found a hack to get around this.  Its probably not supported but I think it works for myself.

I modified the registry key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Server\Name=[The IP Address of the WHS]

Once I restarted the connector everything worked fine.  I connected to the WHS and was able to connect to the console as well.

Monday, March 12, 2007 7:37 PM

All replies

• It really depends on your VPN client.  Apparently it is a single tunnel client, and you would need a dual tunnel client to be able to connect to both networks simultaneously.

pete

Monday, March 12, 2007 7:31 PM
  • I can see both of my networks.  Everything works fine.  It seems like the connector tries to access something and searches out through the VPN network first before going local.

I map drivers and everything on my local network just fine even with the vpn software running.  Its just the connector not working.

However,

I think I have found a hack to get around this.  Its probably not supported but I think it works for myself.

I modified the registry key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Server\Name=[The IP Address of the WHS]

Once I restarted the connector everything worked fine.  I connected to the WHS and was able to connect to the console as well.

Monday, March 12, 2007 7:37 PM
  • That's an interesting setup!
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 11:36 PM
  • Nice trick with the registry setting there.  I'd have suggested an entry in the host file - it's what solved my issue.

When you VPN, it's possible that the NetBIOS name requests for SERVER are going over the VPN and not being sent locally.  Try looking at your traffic with Wireshark (free packet analysis software: http://www.wireshark.org/download.html) and see where it's being sent.  Be sure to select the 'local' interface and not the VPN interface when you capture.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 3:58 AM