Reactivation helps Office Basic 2003 OEM RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a Dell PC that had to be recovered using the hidden image, due to virus damage too bad to repair by any other means.

The recovery process went well and reactivation of Windows was fine, but the media for Office Basic including the COA is no longer available. (lost)

It is a Dell Dimension 3000 and is no longer under waranty.

Dell's remedy is to purchase the boxed version of the software, as they only re-issue damaged or missing media from new PC shipped within 30 days.

The drive file structure was so badly damaged, that slaving it into a bench machine and searching with tools would not turn up any product keys, so the drive was put back in the PC and recovery done. (tried to recover data, and got very little of that)

Is there anything that can be done in this instance, the MS Office Basic is requestoing the product key, and has 60 days beforer it will time out.

We can provide pictures of the PC, service tag, express service code, Windows XP COA and when it was purchased.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, October 29, 2007 11:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Sorry, but Microsoft cannot replace software or product keys that were originally issued by a third-party vendor such as Dell.

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 2:28 AM
  • EmTech,

Another alternative may be to visit Dell Community Forums @ http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/. Maybe you can search for replace a lost Dell system restore disk. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 4:26 PM
  • thanks Carey. was afraid of that...

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:36 PM
  • Thanks for replying Stephen, 

I was able to restore from hidden recovery partition Dell provisioned on the drive.

I needed to see if there was a way to get a product code with proof of purchase etc, since Dell says they don't even have the PC to give out for 2003 apps. That was their recommendation

Since it is a factory audited image, the OS activated fine, but when I launched Office, it requested the Product key, which was on the CD case (and that was thrown out with a bunch of boxes over a year ago after a move).

If the data was not so messed up, I could have recovered it with a utility to reveal product keys. Most of those required the OS to load, but two I tried could read from a slaved drive, but the data was hosed, and most of the files failed CRC.

I tried R-Studio and several other recovery methods. It wasn't until after I restored the drive to OOB from the factory image, and went to find the CD that I realized the boxes were tossed out after the move.

It's not big deal, just hate paying again for the software.

Guess Office 2007 doesn't look so bad now, LOL.

I provide all this information to help the next person save some time.

Thanks again.

off to Office Depot....

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:51 PM