Live Mesh Client on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I know I'm not able to install Foldershare safely onto my server. Am I able to do so with the Live Mesh client?

Saturday, May 24, 2008 9:18 PM

Answers

• Live Mesh is not supported on WHS, at least not yet.  I tried and the installation failed.  I know this is in the product suggestions of connect.microsoft.com, because I have requested it.  Others have requested it as well, and I think they are working on it.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 12:58 AM

All replies

• I believe Live Mesh only supports Windows Vista and XP. I could be wrong, though, and making the attempt is harmless. At worst you will be told that it's not supported.
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:38 AM
  • Live Mesh is not supported on WHS, at least not yet.  I tried and the installation failed.  I know this is in the product suggestions of connect.microsoft.com, because I have requested it.  Others have requested it as well, and I think they are working on it.

Sunday, July 20, 2008 12:58 AM
  •  

Just a note to everyone in the WHS world that Live Mesh will install and run on a WHS. I just installed it today.

Once you download the exe to your WHS, right click it and set it to run in Windows XP mode. I was able to install it.

I was very surprised after being shot down a few months ago. I just set it up today to sync my favorites folder on all four of the computers I use regularly and its working awesome. I alos created a favorites folder under my users folder on the WHS so I have an accessible synced folder there to.

Now if I can just figured out how to get IE, FireFox, and Opera to sync up and I would be happy.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 5:01 AM
  • Live Mesh is still not officially supported on the Windows Server platform. However, as of the update in the middle of last month, it does install.

Question: does your Live Mesh client (on your server) support the ability to connect as more than one user? If not, if every computer in the mesh must connect as the same user, then really only one user will be able to access files on your server. This is a problem because e.g. I don't want to share work-related files on my server with my wife, and vice versa...
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 1:21 PM
  • It is profile specific.

My wife has a Mesh account thats available when she is using her computer along with I have my account. If she doesn't add the WHS to her account then it won't be displayed.

Live mesh will still sync your data even though your not logged on by the user logged in will not be able to see your desktop data.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 11:03 PM
  • Sorry, let's try that again; I don't think I was very clear. Smile

I have several computers available to me. On each of them, synchronization with the rest of the mesh is only possible if someone is logged into Live Mesh on that computer. My point here is that your Live Mesh connection is tied to your LiveID, and your LiveID is tied to a particular user  who must be logged in. Do you see what I'm getting at? On your server, if nobody is actually logged in to the console (and nobody should be) no folder synchronization will occur. If someone is logged in, then that person's folders will synchronize with their mesh, but nobody else's will.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 2:25 AM