Online Credit Card Renewal Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried this several times and also sent messages to Microsoft.

I go through the online OneCare credit card renewal process.  I put in all my credit card & other information and tell it to proceed.  It comes back having cleared my credit card number and card verification number, showing those fields with red error messages.  It shows no other errors.  I can't complete the renewal process.

Why am I bombarded with so MANY messages from Microsoft about this renewal?

Also, does my renewal work from my original date or from the date I renew?

Why is everything so painful about this product?

Thursday, December 4, 2008 8:37 PM

Answers

• Make sure you aren't entering any punctuation like dashes or slashes in the credit card info. I also noticed some other recent posts about renewal/activation problems that appear to have been fixed, so there might have been a back end server problem aggravating your situation, though I think the punctuation is more likely.

I've never received more than two messages, though I've always renewed fairly early so I may not have seen some sent closer to expiration.

Even if you renew several weeks before expiration, the renewal is always added to the end of the existing subscription. I've done this myself using a PIN from a boxed copy, so I know it works. However, the feedback isn't necessarily immediate and can be a bit confusing. Though the information at the billing site should indicate the correct ending date, I believe there were other indications that weren't so clear and the OneCare icon on the PC itself may take a couple days to change to Green, though mine always changed within a few hours.

It's really only painful if you figjht it. If you renew when it first starts to notify you, it's over so quickly you barely know it happened. The entire point is to make it easier to renew than ignore the notifications, since expired security software is one of the most common reasons that a PC gets malware. OneCare is designed as a 'Security Nanny' to remind you that the PC requires current protection.

OneCareBear

Friday, December 5, 2008 7:36 AM
  • I can't speak for Google Autofill, but the bottom line is that the form for the Billing information and contact information cannot include any punctuation at all. So, my recommendation is that you manually type in your name, address, credit card, etc. and only use letters and numbers. It should work.

Your subscription renewal takes effect on the date of the original expiration, and it can take 24 hours to update the status in OneCare.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, December 5, 2008 5:29 PM
  • That did it.  Microsoft needs some help with directions.

Friday, December 5, 2008 5:42 PM

All replies

• Make sure you aren't entering any punctuation like dashes or slashes in the credit card info. I also noticed some other recent posts about renewal/activation problems that appear to have been fixed, so there might have been a back end server problem aggravating your situation, though I think the punctuation is more likely.

I've never received more than two messages, though I've always renewed fairly early so I may not have seen some sent closer to expiration.

Even if you renew several weeks before expiration, the renewal is always added to the end of the existing subscription. I've done this myself using a PIN from a boxed copy, so I know it works. However, the feedback isn't necessarily immediate and can be a bit confusing. Though the information at the billing site should indicate the correct ending date, I believe there were other indications that weren't so clear and the OneCare icon on the PC itself may take a couple days to change to Green, though mine always changed within a few hours.

It's really only painful if you figjht it. If you renew when it first starts to notify you, it's over so quickly you barely know it happened. The entire point is to make it easier to renew than ignore the notifications, since expired security software is one of the most common reasons that a PC gets malware. OneCare is designed as a 'Security Nanny' to remind you that the PC requires current protection.

OneCareBear

Friday, December 5, 2008 7:36 AM
  • I use Google AutoFill to complete my credit card information (not the card verification number), which works everywhere else.

Is there a phone number I can call?

Friday, December 5, 2008 4:52 PM
  • I can't speak for Google Autofill, but the bottom line is that the form for the Billing information and contact information cannot include any punctuation at all. So, my recommendation is that you manually type in your name, address, credit card, etc. and only use letters and numbers. It should work.

Your subscription renewal takes effect on the date of the original expiration, and it can take 24 hours to update the status in OneCare.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, December 5, 2008 5:29 PM
  • That did it.  Microsoft needs some help with directions.

Friday, December 5, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Actually, they need help with that darn form. You'd think it would have a reasonable error message to return when it doesn't like a piece of data so that you would know what to correct, instead of clearing the form and presenting you with a blank form again, scratching your head!

Thanks for confirming and glad it is resolved.

-steve

Friday, December 5, 2008 6:09 PM