Sytem restore RRS feed

• Question

•  

In the technical f.a.q. it is mentioned:

"Warning: Using Windows System Restore while Windows Disk Protection is turned on is not supported and may cause damage to the file system structure. "

In the handbook there is no mention of this incompatibility.

Can anybody explain me, what problems may happen?

Why does not Steady State block System Restore when Disk Protection is turned on?

Is it risky to use System restore to make a system restore point only (as may be exercised during a course)?

Of course we can use Steady State to block System Restore for a user with administrative rights. But what does happen in that case, when te user installs a program that generates a system restore point itself?

Sunday, August 3, 2008 2:33 PM

Answers

• Windows Disk Protection (WDP) undermines System restore points because after a reboot all saved files are not there any more! All modification to the system are done during the installation will me removed after next reboot - no use of restore points.

If restore points would be available, restoring a state would damage the Windows installation - you would reveal settings never were applied to the system (think about the example: installing software a, than installing software b and creating a restore point rp1; after a reboot all changes of sw a and b are removed, but what would happen, if you would you would revert the "system" to rp1? )

After all, why should anyone install a program while WDP is turned on?
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 3:28 PM

All replies

• Windows Disk Protection (WDP) undermines System restore points because after a reboot all saved files are not there any more! All modification to the system are done during the installation will me removed after next reboot - no use of restore points.

If restore points would be available, restoring a state would damage the Windows installation - you would reveal settings never were applied to the system (think about the example: installing software a, than installing software b and creating a restore point rp1; after a reboot all changes of sw a and b are removed, but what would happen, if you would you would revert the "system" to rp1? )

After all, why should anyone install a program while WDP is turned on?
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 3:28 PM
  • Thank you for your answer. I am halfway understanding.

But what happens if your retain all changes during a certain period? (e.g. 6 weeks).

The reason, that we want to make restore points, install and remove programs, is that it is a part of our courses for senior citizens.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:33 AM