WHS V1 connector and W8 Pro 32 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Ok I am totally stumped. I have Windows 8 64 bit consumer preview installed on 3 machines, 32 bit on a laptop and the full blown version of 32 bit Pro on my "shop" machine. On the shop machine connector will not install period. I have d/l the software directly, to the desktop, d/l to the server even standing on two toes and doing a jig still no go. Conversly ALL my other machines have ZERO issues with the pre-view editions. The shop machine sees the server just fine swaps files etc etc even prints to the network printer, scans etc etc so it is NOT a network issue.

The error I get is simply the file failed to down load? That said I think I may have deleted the file on the server, ergo when the connector connects to my server it is looking for the connector software in which folder? (I can't remember) which it can't find hence the download fails? What do I specifically need to do to replace the 'deleted' file on the server ? Yes I did do the time sync thing to make sure that all was well. Or is this simply a W8 Pro full version issue? Thanx

Sunday, December 2, 2012 6:06 PM

Answers

• Please see this FAQ.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by bs953 Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:42 PM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:39 PM

All replies

• Please see this FAQ.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by bs953 Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:42 PM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:39 PM
  • Ouch, jeeze that's a ton of steps. Okie dokie then off to copy land I go then. It almost seems easier to just do backup and start over LOL, fortunately I am coming off a relatively new reinstall main drive took a dump awhile back. But thanx Warren you always have an out on these damn things. TIP: At the first sign of your server complaining about a hard drive, PULL IT immediately IE: add anther drive and remove the "issue" drive the right way, trust me you will be glad you did. Don't play with it, don't try to pass go, don't try to figure it out JUST DO IT ASAP EVEN IF IT MEANS SHUTTING DOWN YOUR SERVER UNTIL YOU CAN GET TO IT. WHS doesn't snivel to often but if it starts sniveling about a hard drive, it is already 'almost' to late. I had to literally shut down for 24 hours, open up, zip strip an ice pack to the drive, just to remove it the right way it totally failed 5 seconds later, this was after two weeks of WHS sniveling. The next time it sniveled about a drive. I shut down remotely got home, added a drive lit it up and removed the drive all was well. So beware!
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Ok Ken, I did go through all the steps and 2 of my machines did the connector...cool but couldn't get the other ones to do it. That said I went for it, did a backup of the server popped the disk in (oh for some reason it wont read my OEM disk anymore but does fine on the copy?) and did a reinstall thus saving all my folders etc, worked great. Now all my machines connected and everybody is happy. Then a new issue arose, backup service not running arrrggg, this took about two days to happen. The server did the morning backup and right after that it started popping errors. Ok, from the console, my second TB drive is not showing anymore. I shut down pop the drive out and it comes right up and works fine in my dock, scan disk all bueno zero errors......I plug the drive back into whs no go. So I run sea tools, smart checks good, short dst good, long dst good. Now I am really scratching. This drive only has 21k hours on it too.

Second issue after reinstall (not a clean wipe) I can't get my remote access to work nor can I access it locally IE https://xxxxxxx.homeserver.com "service not available", all my ports are working, I used the exact same name, login etc etc. I can access all my shares either from the console or short cuts, I can RD into the server locally. Should I maybe release my domain name and the reregister it? Thanx very much.

Sunday, December 23, 2012 5:08 AM
  • Second issue after reinstall (not a clean wipe) I can't get my remote access to work nor can I access it locally IE https://xxxxxxx.homeserver.com "service not available", all my ports are working, I used the exact same name, login etc etc. I can access all my shares either from the console or short cuts, I can RD into the server locally.

That will not work locally unless your router supports loopback. What happens if you type "http(s)://<servername>/remote into your browser on a client on your local LAN?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, December 23, 2012 5:41 AM
  • Thanx Phil for the reply,

It worked just fine locally and remotely, prior to the reinstall I got my default page with my changed logo and could log in etc. Interestingly all the services are enabled, I did try turning off remote access although it should be noted that I have always had that on, along with PC Anywhere. No matter which combination of addressing I use, I get the same page. thanx

Sunday, December 23, 2012 3:11 PM