LAN connections RRS feed

• Question

• Another question. Is it better to have integrated gigabit LAN or as a PCI card? and what is the advantage of having more than one gigabit LAN coming from your WHS? Simple questions I'm sure, but I just don't understand it. Thanks.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:19 PM

All replies

•  Joe Shmoe wrote:
    Another question. Is it better to have integrated gigabit LAN or as a PCI card? and what is the advantage of having more than one gigabit LAN coming from your WHS? Simple questions I'm sure, but I just don't understand it. Thanks.

I guess it depends on the card and/or the onboard chip. I've had no problems with onboard Realtec LAN ports but a cheap gbit card could cause problems. If the hardware supports win2k3 server then you're probably going to be OK.

The advantage of having more than one LAN port on the WHS is that it would permit connecting the WHS to more than one network, which isn't needed by most home networks.

Hope that helps...

Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:30 PM
  •  SME wrote:
    The advantage of having more than one LAN port on the WHS is that it would permit connecting the WHS to more than one network, which isn't needed by most home networks.
    Multi-homing isn't supported by WHS...
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:40 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    SME wrote:
    Multi-homing isn't supported by WHS...

I had no idea...
    Is there a special reason or is it just the complexity involved in properly setting it up?

Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:43 PM
  • All I have seen is statements from the team that multi-homing isn't supported. That could mean that you can't configure it, or it could mean that it's not a tested and supported scenario, but it might work if you know enough about networking to configure it right.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 10:55 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    All I have seen is statements from the team that multi-homing isn't supported. That could mean that you can't configure it, or it could mean that it's not a tested and supported scenario, but it might work if you know enough about networking to configure it right.

Dang, now I might have to enable another LAN port, on my non-stock WHS, and try. You know what they say, "curiosity killed the server." Big Smile I have more than one LAN but since I have 2 WHS boxes I never tried to multi-home one. Configuration won't be an issue.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 11:04 PM