none
Allocation Scheme for Slave / Controller Processes RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following requirements:

- I need to allocate on a per-node basis

- I need to run one controller process and multiple slave processes.

- I need to run two slave processes on each node. The controller process can run on a node that is also running slave processes.

I’m not sure how to set up the job and tasks to achieve this. I assume I need one task for each slave process, but it is unclear how to set the min nodes | max nodes | is exclusive properties to cause two tasks to run on each node.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to set up the job and task properties for this situation.

Tom

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:55 AM

Answers

• Why do you need to allocate on a per-node basis.  You may want to use sockets or cores as the allocation instead of nodes.   For example, if your systems have 2 Quad Core processors, you can request a min and max of 1 socket for each task.  That would guarantee that no more than two tasks  (two slaves OR the master + one slave) run on each system.  

You could also go with core allocation.   Let's assume your systems have a single Quad Core.   You could set the min and max for each task to 2 cores.   This would also guarantee that you have only two tasks running on the systems.

Friday, April 16, 2010 6:44 PM