Windows Home Server automated install RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to automate the PE portion of the WHS install with an unattend.xml or something like that?  If so, how do you do it?

I'm trying to install it on a PowerVault 715n (no mouse, kb, or usb connectors.)  I do have a video card plugged into the 1 PCI slot so I can see what's going on.  I can get a DVD drive plugged into it by removing the top of the case plugging the drive into an empty drive tray and it will boot the install DVD. I just can't control anything.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:04 PM

Answers

• No but if I could remember, I'd give them credit for it.

AUTOMATED INSTALL OF WINDOWS HOME SERVER

1) Create "QS.INI"

[Q Setup]
    ProductKey=00000-00000-00000-00000-00000
    ServerName=SERVER

2)Create ISO image if WHS installer

3)Inject "QS.INI" into <root> directory of ISO image

4)Burn new DVD

5) Install

**You can leave the "QS.INI" file exactly as I have it.  Once you have installed the connector software on your client system, you can input your product key then within 30 days.  The server name can also be changed here or inside the connector software.  I did it this way so now I can install 30 day trials on my friend's computers without giving out my orgional product keys.

**As for the PV715N install, remove the covers and hard drives in Bays 1-3 (leave Bay 0 in there for the install), remove one of the other hard drives from the try and put it into BAY 1 empty, plug the DVD drive into the tray and off you go.
    • Marked as answer by Colemban Monday, June 15, 2009 10:33 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 10:33 PM

All replies

• If you were to search here in the forums for powervault 715n, you'd find that the users who were able to install on a powervault did so by doing the actual installation on another hardware-compatible computer and moving the drive.

There is, I believe, a way of setting up an unattended install, but it's unsupported, undocumented, and unfortunately I don't seem to have a link.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:00 PM
  • I did find an answer but I didn't find it in the forums here.  It involved creating a qs.ini file.  Once my setup is complete, I'll post a full how to on how I did it for the PV715N.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:16 PM
  • Possibly the information was found here?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 15, 2009 10:14 PM
  • No but if I could remember, I'd give them credit for it.

AUTOMATED INSTALL OF WINDOWS HOME SERVER

1) Create "QS.INI"

[Q Setup]
    ProductKey=00000-00000-00000-00000-00000
    ServerName=SERVER

2)Create ISO image if WHS installer

3)Inject "QS.INI" into <root> directory of ISO image

4)Burn new DVD

5) Install

**You can leave the "QS.INI" file exactly as I have it.  Once you have installed the connector software on your client system, you can input your product key then within 30 days.  The server name can also be changed here or inside the connector software.  I did it this way so now I can install 30 day trials on my friend's computers without giving out my orgional product keys.

**As for the PV715N install, remove the covers and hard drives in Bays 1-3 (leave Bay 0 in there for the install), remove one of the other hard drives from the try and put it into BAY 1 empty, plug the DVD drive into the tray and off you go.
    • Marked as answer by Colemban Monday, June 15, 2009 10:33 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 10:33 PM