Send Email to Team RRS feed

• Question

•  

Whenever a new case is entered I want to send an email to the whole support team. For that I created a workflow that does nothing else then sending an email. What do I need to set in the "To:" field so that an email goes to every member of the support team?

Note, {User(Owner(User))} works, however {Created By(Owner(Team))} does not. When I check the executed workflow it says "Waiting" and when I double click it it says there was an error.

Thanks
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:15 PM

Answers

• I ended up creating a contact and set the email address to an alias that send the email to the whole support team. Now I have to update the alias each time there is a change in the support team. It's not ideal but it works.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:33 PM

All replies

• I didn't think that you could e-mail to a team because they don't have an e-mail address.

I would consider creating an e-mail distribution group in Exchange and adding that group as a contact to CRM and then e-mailing that contact.

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:59 AM
  • What I meant with "email to a team" is "email to the members of a team". These members of course have an email address.

I could indeed create an email alias and send emails to that alias. The problem is that in this case I do not only have to add/remove members in Dynamics CRM but also in the alias.

Monday, September 22, 2008 5:29 PM
  •  

Indeed what you ask for makes senses but I don't think it can be done within the application without resorting to programming.

The main purpose of teams is to provide users a way of sharing records without having to pester the administrator to change security roles.

Another option, which you may have considered, is to create a queue and then assign the case to the queue. The support team would need to monitor the queue so not quite what you are asking for.

Monday, September 22, 2008 7:09 PM
  • Hi Hfaun,

Depending on the number of users and teams, you could use conditional logic to retrieve the users team If the user's team = x, you could email persons a,b,c,d,e,f  and if team = y email g,h,i,j,k etc.

Alternately, create a workflow for each team. The workflow will email a member of each team. Use conditional logic in the original workflow (when case is created) to decide which child-workflow to email.

I must say I fully agree with the use of queue's as opposed to emails. Using normal business logic you could email a single person and ask them to assign the case to a particular user. Alternately users will 'pick' cases off the queue.
    Sending emails to all users (who will receive the email at the same time) may increase the likelihood of multiple users updating the same case.

Hope it helped.

Karlo

Monday, September 22, 2008 7:59 PM
  • I ended up creating a contact and set the email address to an alias that send the email to the whole support team. Now I have to update the alias each time there is a change in the support team. It's not ideal but it works.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:33 PM