Lost CD RRS feed

• Question

• XP re-install cd that came with one PC was lost. We have the key number and the cd from a seperate computer, and both are Dell. Is it possible to just use the other CD and put in the key number that is on the computer we are reformatting?
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 7:26 AM

Answers

• MattBrammer,

The Dell OD Reinstallation CD that came with the one Dell will work on the other Dell as long as the edition of XP on the reinstallation CD (ie, Home, Pro, Media Center, Tablet) is the same as the edition of XP as shown on the Certificate of Authenticity of the Dell whose CD was lost.

If they are different editions, just contact Dell tech support or customer service, they will sell you a replacement Dell OS Reinstallation CD for about $15 delivered.

Saturday, June 30, 2007 6:30 PM
  • halou

ive got this toshiba laptop but i lost my XP CD. i still have the product key, all i want to know is: if i can get a new copy of the lost CD with you guys from microsoft.

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:12 PM
  • Eytzchaim,

Microsoft does not sell Recovery Cds for Toshiba laptops.

Please visit the Toshiba support web page for your model of Toshiba to see if replacement Recovery CDs are available.

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:16 PM
  • Eytzchaim,

Please contact Toshiba Computers thru their website @ http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp. The Technical Support number is (800) 457-7777. Explain your situation and establish a service request (SR) for Reinstallation Recovery Software CDs.  The CS agent should be able to assist with your request and/or questions.

Thank you

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Manager

Saturday, July 14, 2007 12:08 AM

All replies

• MattBrammer,

The Dell OD Reinstallation CD that came with the one Dell will work on the other Dell as long as the edition of XP on the reinstallation CD (ie, Home, Pro, Media Center, Tablet) is the same as the edition of XP as shown on the Certificate of Authenticity of the Dell whose CD was lost.

If they are different editions, just contact Dell tech support or customer service, they will sell you a replacement Dell OS Reinstallation CD for about $15 delivered.

Saturday, June 30, 2007 6:30 PM
  • halou

ive got this toshiba laptop but i lost my XP CD. i still have the product key, all i want to know is: if i can get a new copy of the lost CD with you guys from microsoft.

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:12 PM
  • Eytzchaim,

Microsoft does not sell Recovery Cds for Toshiba laptops.

Please visit the Toshiba support web page for your model of Toshiba to see if replacement Recovery CDs are available.

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:16 PM
  • Eytzchaim,

Please contact Toshiba Computers thru their website @ http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp. The Technical Support number is (800) 457-7777. Explain your situation and establish a service request (SR) for Reinstallation Recovery Software CDs.  The CS agent should be able to assist with your request and/or questions.

Thank you

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Manager

Saturday, July 14, 2007 12:08 AM