Product key not valid on replacement pc!!! RRS feed

• Question

• "key not vaild, please purchase another one"  NO!!! I PAID FOR THIS ONE!!!

ok now i've calmed down. what happend was, i used to have a pc. Totally legit and all that. made by my dad who has a pc buisiness. All parts bought and paid for from his supplier blah blah blah. you get the point it's legit! :P

well one day i asked him to chuck some more memory in it so he came to collect it and then on his way back he had and had a car accident quite a bad one really and my pc was in the boot... if a car flips three times and lands on it's roof a pc in the boot really doesn't stand a chance now does it! :P

(yes he's ok if your wondering)

so.

because i asked him just to chuck some more memory in there, doesn't really need the vista home premium disk so i kept it at mine. it's intact and working so i tried to install it on another home computer of mine. in the words of David Walliams 'COMPUTER SAYS NO...' so i'm stuck with a 30day computer that i may aswell not use!

now my problem is, i paid for this operating system fair and square so why can't i use it on my other pc? it makes no sense my names tom not 'captin jack!' i'm no pirate and neither is the company that suppies my dad's business.

i was just wondering weather i'm gonna have to get my wallet out and buy another Vista Home Premium disk or use the same one in such a way that microsoft will allow my to activate it again on my replacement computer.

all replies will be grately apreciated!

thanks in advance
    tom

Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:55 PM

Answers

• Hello mosttalentedtom,

This is a Licensing Question.

a) if the Windows was Retail (came in a nice retail container, product key printed on a card found inside the container) then you are licensed to be able to move that Windows from one computer to another, as you wish.  If this is the case, then folow the steps at the bottom of this post to generate a Diagnostic Report so I may diagnose the issue.

b) if the Windows was OEM (came in apaper or cardboard sleeve, product key printer on the Certificate of Authenticity) then you are restricted from using this Windows on any other PC then the first one it was installed on.

To Generate a Diagnostic Report:

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1)    Login to Vista and click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.

2)    Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.

3)    A window will come up asking if you want to “Run” or “Save”, Select “Run”

4)    When the program runs, click the “Continue” button, then click the “Copy” button.

5)    Return to this thread http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/b4d1e40a-b2a1-4be7-9b93-434644b08795.

6)    In a reply post, paste the Diagnostic Report 

Thank you,
    Darin MS

• Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, November 20, 2009 9:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 23, 2009 8:23 PM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 9:26 PM