How do WHS user accounts relate to Client Machines user accounts? RRS feed

• Question

• On my network there are already PCs with user accounts on them, I would expect that when I go to Server Folder sharing settings, I would be able to assign permissions to those already existing users. However, it seems that I need to duplicate this information on the Users page in WHS management console. If that's true, should I create the same username and password as the users already have on the other PCs on my home network?
    Friday, February 3, 2012 12:29 PM

Answers

• That's correct - use exactly the same "Username" and "Password" as on your client machines. That way, users will gain seamless access to the Server shares - access priviledges for each user are set in the Dashboard.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Borek Bernard Friday, February 3, 2012 1:55 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 1:45 PM

All replies

• That's correct - use exactly the same "Username" and "Password" as on your client machines. That way, users will gain seamless access to the Server shares - access priviledges for each user are set in the Dashboard.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Borek Bernard Friday, February 3, 2012 1:55 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 1:45 PM
  • On my network there are already PCs with user accounts on them, I would expect that when I go to Server Folder sharing settings, I would be able to assign permissions to those already existing users. However, it seems that I need to duplicate this information on the Users page in WHS management console. If that's true, should I create the same username and password as the users already have on the other PCs on my home network?

Creating the same users is the most seamless way of handling it, but there's no requirement that you do so. The Launchpad will connect you to your server using credentials you supply when it starts, so you could be logged into your local PC as "Borek", but connected to your server using the user name "BBernard", if you wanted. You would simply give the Launchpad the user name and password to connect to the server with.

Note, however, that you can only connect to your server using a single user name; you couldn't connect to one share as "Borek" and another as "BBernard".

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 3, 2012 3:36 PM
  • I do not quite see how creating a different user would be useful for 99% of scenarios. In the end, to make things simple, I simply shared with HomeGroup and I have not set up any users on WHS (apart from the default Administrator one, obviously).

I think that here the UX of WHS could be streamlined. From a user perspective, it doesn't make much sense to create "WHS users" - there are already users on the network and I want to assign permissions for them, not to some new WHS user accounts which I was not sure what they were.

Friday, February 3, 2012 4:25 PM
  • Each to their own! I have taken the other approach - no HomeGroup and individual users on my Server (a one off exercise) which match my client users. That way I have total and fine control from WHS on who is allowed to see what. If your solution works for you then that's fine.

Friday, February 3, 2012 4:41 PM
  • Each to their own! I have taken the other approach - no HomeGroup and individual users on my Server (a one off exercise) which match my client users. That way I have total and fine control from WHS on who is allowed to see what. If your solution works for you then that's fine.

I'm actually not happy with sharing everything with everyone on the HomeGroup (and giving everyone a write access), I was just confused as what WHS users are and how should I configure them. Here the UI lacks IMO (there should be a help page explaining how I should re-create users on my WHS).
    Friday, February 3, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Something like this:

Manage User Accounts

Friday, February 3, 2012 4:55 PM
  • I do not quite see how creating a different user would be useful for 99% of scenarios. In the end, to make things simple, I simply shared with HomeGroup and I have not set up any users on WHS (apart from the default Administrator one, obviously).

I think that here the UX of WHS could be streamlined. From a user perspective, it doesn't make much sense to create "WHS users" - there are already users on the network and I want to assign permissions for them, not to some new WHS user accounts which I was not sure what they were.

The problem is that the users you refer to as "on the network" aren't, really. They're on individual computers that are connected to your home network, but home users generally don't have a central directory for authentication, so each computer's users are isolated from every other computer's users. Add to that the fact that it used to be pretty common for a computer shipped from a major manufacturer to have a user already created, named something like "user-10756352" internally and "Ken" externally, and additionally include the way "peer to peer" sharing has worked on Microsoft networks for a very long time and you can see why Microsoft chose to implement security the way they did.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 3, 2012 6:25 PM