none
Something seems to be wrong with the "Top Answerers" listed for C# General RRS feed

• Question

• The Top Answerer currently for C# General Forum is listed as Peter Ritchie.  This can't possibly be correct.

According to Peter's "My Threads" page, he has posted 3 times in the last 30 days, and has had one post marked as answer.  I can't possibly see how he can still be the "Top Answerer" in C# General for the past 30 days, unless there's some calculation extremely out of whack.  Could someone please look into this?   It'd be nice to know where things really stand.  It's been a long time.
    David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/
    Monday, February 16, 2009 8:47 PM

Answers

• Next months update will change. We will be showing a time boxed list of top answerers and the number of answers they have contributed for that 30 days. Hopefully this will reduce confusion.
    Brent Serbus STO Forums Program Manager
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:29 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Mr Morton!

It does not seem correct in most of the forums, there are some top answers in Visual Basic forums who has not posted even a single reply within a month.

Same question was posted some weeks ago and got a word from a MSFT that it will be fixed soon, but nothing has happend since then. It would be better to remove that if it cant be fixed instead of showing the wrong list, which is there since several months.

Arjun Paudel
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:35 AM
  • This seems to be working in some forums.

I have noticed in the SharePoint forums that some people have moved up in the Lists during the past month and that correspondingly one MVP who has been working on a book has moved down.

I've also gone up and down in the same forum a couple of times in the past couple of weeks.

WSS FAQ sites: WSS 2.0: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007: http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language titles) http://wss.asaris.de/sites/walsh/Lists/WSSv3%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:04 AM
  • Yes Mike, its not completely wrong, like I am seeing myself in top answers since 2 weeks, but only problem is sticky :) answeres, who are not being removed though they are inactive or posting very few answers within a month.

Arjun Paudel
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:10 AM
  • You are right. The same thing is in Visual Fox forum....They messed all...I wonder why ? Because there are to many errors...I never saw a new product to have so much bugs....
    dni
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 1:49 PM
  • hi,
    if somebody replies to an old thread, to which a former top answerer replied (not sure if his reply needs to be marked as answer here), this person automatically jumps back into the top answerers list. (The 30 days filtering seems not to work for the points collected during the last 30 days and/or the specific forum, but only for the last detected thread in which the person was active counting against his total points.)
    It's a bug and it has been reported in the past, i.e. in this thread.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 1:50 PM
  • The current top answerers list needs a revision. I think the main problem is the initial ordered list of users is based their total answers instead of the time boxed query.  We have this on the list of things that need fixing and are working on it. Future implementation should time box the contribution and not take into account the total non time boxed values.
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 5:31 AM
    Answerer
  • Brent Serbus said:

The current top answerers list needs a revision. I think the main problem is the initial ordered list of users is based their total answers instead of the time boxed query.  We have this on the list of things that need fixing and are working on it. Future implementation should time box the contribution and not take into account the total non time boxed values.

It may be based on the total number of answers, but it's doing something else after that.  Hans Passant (aka nobugz) has far more posts than anyone else on the MSDN forums, by quite a bit.  If the initial ordered list is based on total answers, shouldn't he be at the top of everything in every forum he posts in?  I think the estimation may be right about sticky threads somehow interfering. 

David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:35 AM
  • I'm seeing the same thing in the OCS forums, the 'Top Answerer' in most forums hasn't posted in over one year.  Although the list appears to be correct based on answers per forum, it sure looks more like all answers in the forum not just the past 30 days.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 12:31 AM
  • Same thing in the MIIS/ILM (Identity Lifecycle Manager) forum.
    Depending on the moment you logon to the forum, the statistics for the top answers, top MVP answerers, top Microsoft answerers, recent moderators:
    - are empty
    - show some answerers
    - show inconsistent lists (inactive users, ...)

The top answerers list contains people who haven't been active for months...
    And even then, that list doesn't seem to be based on the total number of answers, at first sight...

IMHO, better show no data than wrong info.

Kind regards,
    Peter
    Peter Geelen - Sr. Consultant IDA (http://www.traxion.com)
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 8:00 AM
  • Next months update will change. We will be showing a time boxed list of top answerers and the number of answers they have contributed for that 30 days. Hopefully this will reduce confusion.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Do you get Teach me C++? thank you !!!
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:52 PM