just a stupid question RRS feed

• Question

• I am not able to figure out how to actually get to a forum.  When I enter forums, it comes up with what should be a list of urls.  But it is a list of checkboxes.

How do I find a link to the forum I want to go to?  Up to now I have just been using my old emails that have links in them.  I am sure there is the expected way, I just cant find it.

Since I knew how to do this until the redesign, I am posting in "Forums Redesign", and I hope this is what it is for.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:23 AM

Answers

• You're a bit late to the party, the redesign took effect on 6/19. There was a banner notification above all forums announcing the impending update, but it was only present for maybe a week (if I remember correctly, and I'm pretty sure I do) before the changeover.

Want some nostalgia? Here's what you are used to (if you're looking for TechNet forums, at least), showing the update notification:

The redesign was not very well received by most of us. The good news is that several of the glaringly bad issues have been fixed by now, but IMHO there's still plenty of work left to be done to get the forums back to their previously usable state.

Two months in, I've gotten quite used to the new design and I've learned to work my way around the quirks. My best advice is to search through this forum and the suggestions/feedback forum if you have any specific complaints, someone's probably already started a thread that's similar. There's also several good articles running on the Wiki with suggestions and workarounds.

Welcome to the party, have fun.

EDIT: Now that I re-read your question... You make no mention of having not seen the new design yet, I guess I just made that assumption. 2AM is too late for forums.

In any case, the suggestion of searching around still stands.

Don't retire TechNet!

• Edited by Mike Laughlin Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by danielsn Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:18 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:45 AM
  • Hi,

The idea of the individual forum is basically gone in this new design. What you're supposed to do now is put a check next to the forums you want to see in the thread list. I personally keep multiple tabs open with only a single forum checked though, to keep the illusion of the single forum alive.

If you don't see the forum you're looking for in the default list, click the [view all] link and use the search box. You can also add individual forums to your My Forums list (hover over the forum name to get the forum card popup [that's also where the RSS icon has been relocated to]), which has become much more important since the redesign. You can get to your My Forums list from the Quick Access dropdown and that's where I launch my individual tabs from.

EDIT: Also, that's not a stupid question at all. This new design does take some getting used to.

Don't retire TechNet!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The idea of the individual forum is basically gone in this new design. What you're supposed to do now is put a check next to the forums you want to see in the thread list. I personally keep multiple tabs open with only a single forum checked though, to keep the illusion of the single forum alive.

If you don't see the forum you're looking for in the default list, click the [view all] link and use the search box. You can also add individual forums to your My Forums list (hover over the forum name to get the forum card popup [that's also where the RSS icon has been relocated to]), which has become much more important since the redesign. You can get to your My Forums list from the Quick Access dropdown and that's where I launch my individual tabs from.

EDIT: Also, that's not a stupid question at all. This new design does take some getting used to.

Don't retire TechNet!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:34 AM
  • Okay.  Change of paradigms.

I am very interested in Human Machine Interface Design, was there a tip that the paradigm had changed somewhere on the webpage, I missed?

Thanks

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:52 AM
  • You're a bit late to the party, the redesign took effect on 6/19. There was a banner notification above all forums announcing the impending update, but it was only present for maybe a week (if I remember correctly, and I'm pretty sure I do) before the changeover.

Want some nostalgia? Here's what you are used to (if you're looking for TechNet forums, at least), showing the update notification:

The redesign was not very well received by most of us. The good news is that several of the glaringly bad issues have been fixed by now, but IMHO there's still plenty of work left to be done to get the forums back to their previously usable state.

Two months in, I've gotten quite used to the new design and I've learned to work my way around the quirks. My best advice is to search through this forum and the suggestions/feedback forum if you have any specific complaints, someone's probably already started a thread that's similar. There's also several good articles running on the Wiki with suggestions and workarounds.

Welcome to the party, have fun.

EDIT: Now that I re-read your question... You make no mention of having not seen the new design yet, I guess I just made that assumption. 2AM is too late for forums.

In any case, the suggestion of searching around still stands.

Don't retire TechNet!

• Edited by Mike Laughlin Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by danielsn Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:18 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:45 AM
  • Thanks for the good pointers,

I was aware of the change, and when it came about, (I remember a few choice words that day(g)) and since then I have navigated it by going to my email, looking for a link, etc.  I cant use the email trick anymore as somehow the forum thinks I am from Germany now, and so when I try going through the email, all but the one post has everything in German.

• Edited by danielsn Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:38 PM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:17 PM
  • I was aware of the change, and when it came about, (I remember a few choice words that day(g)) and since then I have navigated it by going to my email, looking for a link, etc.  I cant use the email trick anymore as somehow the forum thinks I am from Germany now, and so when I try going through the email, all but the one post has everything in German.

What I do is:

1. Save URL's for groups of forums that I am interested in. I find this preferable to viewing single forums on the one hand, and simultaneously viewing all the forums I follow on the other.

2. I use My Threads to follow the threads in which I have already posted.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:04 PM
  • somehow the forum thinks I am from Germany now

Then you may be seeing a known bug of branding--the omission of a breadcrumb line which would contain a link to a particular forum in a message that you would be reading.  You can use the RSS view button as a workaround.

C.f.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c170edf5-1346-4ec4-ae2e-d15fa3cab088/how-am-i-supposed-to-know-which-forum-im-viewing#0b61de24-573d-4aa9-9b1d-e08a4b23ed2e

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:14 PM