Deleted the DE folder RRS feed

• Question

• Since I had some performance problems I decided to reinstall my Home Server. After I did that, I did something really stupid... I thought that the DE folder on my D: (Data) contained Duplicate Info (2 times my files).. I deleted the contents of the DE folder, and since then I can't access my files in the D:/Shares/ folder... Any thought? I don't know what to do.. Is my data lost?
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:31 PM

Answers

• StefanDaelemans said:

Since I had some performance problems I decided to reinstall my Home Server. After I did that, I did something really stupid... I thought that the DE folder on my D: (Data) contained Duplicate Info (2 times my files).. I deleted the contents of the DE folder, and since then I can't access my files in the D:/Shares/ folder... Any thought? I don't know what to do.. Is my data lost?

The hidden DE folder is where the actual data is stored.  The best thing for you to do at this point (if you don't have the data elsewhere) is shut down the server and, depending on how valuable the data is, consider data recovery (either professional if it's really important, or DIY if it's not).
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:23 AM

All replies

• StefanDaelemans said:

Since I had some performance problems I decided to reinstall my Home Server. After I did that, I did something really stupid... I thought that the DE folder on my D: (Data) contained Duplicate Info (2 times my files).. I deleted the contents of the DE folder, and since then I can't access my files in the D:/Shares/ folder... Any thought? I don't know what to do.. Is my data lost?

The hidden DE folder is where the actual data is stored.  The best thing for you to do at this point (if you don't have the data elsewhere) is shut down the server and, depending on how valuable the data is, consider data recovery (either professional if it's really important, or DIY if it's not).
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:23 AM
  • Stefan, I agree with kariya21. You should shut your server down and use a file recovery utility to see what you can get off your D: partition. After that you should use your preferred tool to remove all the partitions from that drive, and then you should reinstall Windows Home Server again.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:09 PM