none
A couple of questions before I purchase Streets & Trips 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I am seriously considering purchasing the GPS version for my son, but I have a couple of questions that I need answering first. I tried Microsoft Support Email for several days but the site was down.

First of all how often is your map updated? I live in Maple Ridge, BC, Canada, and a toll bridge was opened across the Fraser River a year and a half ago but it is not on your map. It has been on Bing and Google for over a year now. Without it Streets and Trips will be useless for us. Do you have downloadable maps online?

Secondly, I have written a program for my son's business and need to be able to find trip locations and directions by using command line options to enter addresses and/or lat/long information into Street & Trips. I am able to do this with Google Maps online but I would prefer not to use the internet while on the road. Is this possible?

Thank you. David J. Smith

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:26 PM

All replies

• Data is updated with each new release (currently one a year). It takes at least another year for the data provider to add new roads to the data.

I don't know of any command line interface for S&T or MapPoint - it would need a lot of options and could be difficult to use. MapPoint (S&T's big brother) has a programming interface that uses COM. Most of the examples use VB6/VBA but any COM-aware language (eg. .NET could be used). The interface exposes a lot more than the simple routing that could be attained through a command line interface.

Yes MapPoint costs quite a bit more, but it also adds various data and plotting options, plus the programming interface. Various third party add-ons can also be purchased (yes, I sell quite a few of them!)

Richard

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:00 PM
  • If you are looking for the Fraser River bridge on a trial version of Streets and Trips 2011 (the one currently offered by MSFT) and cannot see it AND its absence is a show-stopper for you, then do not buy it.  Maybe if there is a S&T2012 or 2013, it will show the bridge and you can consider buying it then.  FWIW, the content of the trial and the purchased versions are exactly the same so do not think you'll get a bridge with a paid-up version. 
    • Proposed as answer by Philip K1 Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:27 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 1:26 PM