none
install the program on an external instead of local drive RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft money takes up 100 gig on my local drive.  I was hoping I could install the program on an external drive instead.  Is that possible?
    Saturday, November 2, 2019 3:56 AM

All replies

• The Microsoft Money program only needs about 100MB, not 100GB.

Installing programs on external drives is not possible.

Saturday, November 2, 2019 10:01 AM
  • What version did you install? From what media?

Can you show us the five or ten largest files?

Saturday, November 2, 2019 1:50 PM
  • While the space saving is not nearly what you thought, I think it should be possible to install Money on an external drive if that has a drive letter. To do that, pay attention during the early steps of the install to not take the default install location. When asked to specify a location, it is best to Browse to the location, rather than type it in.

I do think that keeping your backup files on a different drive than your main *.mny file is desirable. In the default backup locations, there is one for the upon-exit backup and one for the scheduled backup. If you have Money Plus, there are multiple date-time stamped files that can be a really good deal. That way, if a file gets corrupted, and you back that up, you don't wipe out your only good backup. With Money 2005, you need to be more careful to keep multiple recent backup versions. It almost seems that nobody asks about backup strategies until they have a major data loss.

Sunday, November 3, 2019 2:54 PM
  • Just for reference, the 100 Gb value is bogus.  In Windows 7, if you look at the list of installed programs using  "Add or Remove Programs", it will show Money as using 100 Gb.  In fact, Money needs a bit less than 100 Mb and that value is shown correctly in the Windows 10 "Apps & Features" list.

There is a more detailed discussion of why this happens in Windows 7 here: 

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8760526f-0f62-4907-a815-f9fb3f1884e0/mm-sunset-is-100-gb-is-this-normal?forum=money

Bill Becker

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 9:21 PM
  • My  "Microsoft Money Plus" install folder currently contains 111,893,545 bytes. However I have accumulated some extra stuff to more than account for the extra. This includes a couple of extra mnyob99.dll copies.

9,529,200 mnyob99.dll
        9,529,200 mnyob99.dll.fix
        9,529,200 mnyob99.dll.orig

Here was my command:

dir "Microsoft Money Plus" /a /s

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 9:25 PM