Outlook 2007 becomes unusable after restoring e-mail RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if this is a problem with OneCare, Outlook 2007, or Vista (probably Outlook), so I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

Before I upgraded to Vista from XP, I backed up all my files with Windows Live OneCare, and after re-installing Office 2007 and using the file import in Outlook to get back old messages, the cursor doesn't show when moved over the Outlook window. I can't get any menus with the Alt function either. Outlook seems to have hung. I have to use the Task Manager to close Outlook.

Before trying to import the backed-up messages, Outlook worked fine. Also, I have tried uninstalling Outlook 2007, deleting the remaining pst file and re-installing Outlook and then I can use Outlook again (if I don't delete the pst file, the problem persists and Outlook is still unusable after re-installing).

Is there a way to restore my old messages?

Fcat
    (Lawrence)
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• You should be able to restore your .pst files from a One Care backup. There is a step by step guide here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943770 If the issue persists I suggest contacting support for help with restoring your files. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Try running a repair of the restored pst file before importing:
    How to use the Inbox Repair Tools to recover e-mail messages in ...

It is also possible for you to copy the entire .pst file to the location of your new .pst file. In Vista, the location of the file will be:
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ and it is probably called outlook.pst
    Copy your old .pst file to the location and make sure it is named exactly as the one created by Outlook.
    Note that this is a hidden folder location, so you wil need to set the Explorer options to show hidden files and folders to see it.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    • Marked as answer by Fcat Saturday, March 28, 2009 2:48 PM
    Monday, March 23, 2009 1:23 PM
  • Thanks Steve and Jim for your replies. It took me a while to open up my schedule long enough to try a few things.

Getting a restore copy of my .pst file from OneCare was painless - I was able to do that before posting my query here. I was even able to use Outlook to check e-mail without a problem for a while before trying the Import function to import the old restored .pst file (it turned out that I had followed all the steps exactly as outlined in the link you sent, Jim, before posting here). The problem started with using the import function. It started out fine - I could see the e-mails listed as they were imported - but it hung at about 90% of the way through the import process. After that, it hung everytime I opened Outlook 2007, before even downloading any new e-mail.

Anyway, I tried deleting the new .pst file and replaced it with one of the OneCare restored .pst files (I found multiple copies). The first time, I could at least get Outlook opened and it automatically downloaded new e-mails, but all the old e-mails had double copies in the in-box! I didn't have the patience to go in and delete every second e-mail for hundreds of e-mails so I repeated the process and found a .pst file that had only single copies of old e-mails and finished downloading new mails.

So far so good but now I have found that the new e-mails are not being sorted according to any of the rules I had made. All the folders are there and I checked the Rules and Alerts in the Tools menu and found that all the rules are still in there.

Actually, looking at it again now, it says (I'm using a Japanese Vista OS and I'm not sure what the exact wording is in English, so I'm paraphrasing), "for use by another computer" next to each rule. Would I be able to export the current rules and re-import the same rules and have them work (I didn't specifically export and backup the old rules when I backed up the e-mail messages with OneCare)? 

Thanks,
    Lawrence
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 2:45 PM
  • Just to answer my own question - I tried exporting the "other computer" rules list and then imported it again. I found that the rules list then contained duplicates of each rule: the rules for "another computer" and rules that didn't say that. I deleted all the rules that were for "another computer" and ran the rules and voila! It worked! Problem solved. Thanks again for putting me on the right track.
    Lawrence
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 2:41 PM
  • Glad to read that all is well, but sorry that it was such a headache to begin with. I love Outlook, but it can be a pain to work with when changing .pst files. :-)
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 7:54 PM