Possible Bug: Cannot connect to Dashboard or local clients from remote XP client RRS feed

• General discussion

• I posted this bug report a couple days ago on Connect and I am interested to see if anyone else has tried this:

I am unable to connect to any client within my LAN or the server Dashboard from any remote XP SP3 client (and RDC 7.0 is installed on the remote XP clients). The first RemoteApp window pops up (where the options are Connect or Cancel). However, when I click Connect, it either A) freezes or B) gives an error message that says, "Your computer can't connect to the remote computer because an error occurred on the remote computer that you want to connect to. Contact your network administrator for assistance." Also, the Publisher line in the first pop-up window is incomplete from a remote XP client. Where it should say the entire website (for example, "mydomainname.homeserver.com"), it says, "m..." (just the first letter of the website followed by an ellipsis). Everything else works fine from the remote XP client (upload/download/media streaming/etc) and everything works from a remote Win7 client and a remote Vista client (including the Publisher line being completely filled in).

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Saturday, May 8, 2010 4:17 PM

All replies

• I posted this bug report a couple days ago on Connect and I am interested to see if anyone else has tried this:

I am unable to connect to any client within my LAN or the server Dashboard from any remote XP SP3 client (and RDC 7.0 is installed on the remote XP clients). The first RemoteApp window pops up (where the options are Connect or Cancel). However, when I click Connect, it either A) freezes or B) gives an error message that says, "Your computer can't connect to the remote computer because an error occurred on the remote computer that you want to connect to. Contact your network administrator for assistance." Also, the Publisher line in the first pop-up window is incomplete from a remote XP client. Where it should say the entire website (for example, "mydomainname.homeserver.com"), it says, "m..." (just the first letter of the website followed by an ellipsis). Everything else works fine from the remote XP client (upload/download/media streaming/etc) and everything works from a remote Win7 client and a remote Vista client (including the Publisher line being completely filled in).

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I have been able to fix this problem.  Here is my follow up post to my bug report:

After reading about the RDC 7.0 package for XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969084 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951608), I was able to fix the problem. However, considering it involves modifying the registry, that is obviously not something a typical home user (the target audience of this product) should do. It should be fixed by some other method (probably by releasing a critical update for XP for the RDC 7.0 package to include the necessary registry modifications).

Saturday, May 15, 2010 5:11 AM
  • Will this help solve the problem with installing the connector software also?
    METHODMAN
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 10:08 PM
  • I have been able to fix this problem.  Here is my follow up post to my bug report:

Thanks Kariya,

Ran into this same issue on three XP different clients. Applying KB969084 and KB951608 soloved to problem.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, May 31, 2010 8:56 PM