iTunes/iPods RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure if the suggestions forum is the proper place for this, but here we go:

Has anyone used iTunes on their WHS and set up an iPod to sync to that library?  I tried it on the CTP, but the second time I plugged my iPod in, WHS didn't recognize it as a valid device.  I switched back to using a client PC for syncing and just kept the music on WHS, but I would like to just use WHS for managing my iTunes library and syncing my iPod.  I was just wondering if anyone had gotten this going on RC1 yet.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 10:32 PM

Answers

• For AAC and ALAC files at least, and I think for some other file types as well, Firefly streams the actual file. This is how iTunes itself does it. So it arrives at the destination complete with Fairplay DRM intact, and it's the responsibility of the consumer to deal with the DRM issues.

So yes, it works with DRM-protected files. But no, your third-party consumer of AAC won't be able to play them, since Apple doesn't seem interested in licensing Fairplay.
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 12:53 AM

All replies

• You really can't install iTunes on WHS. Since it's designed to be a headless appliance, rather than a desktop PC, it normally won't have anyone logged directly in and iTunes won't run as a service. That makes syncing an iPod difficult, as you saw.

However, there are alternatives. It's possible to store your iTunes library on a network share, as you've seen. You can also install Firefly, a media server that can serve up AAC and ALAC files.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 10:41 PM
  • It looks like I'll have to get after Apple to write a WHS Add-In version of iTunes for those of us that want to use our iPods with WHS.    Or I can just do what any techie would do and RDP into the server to run iTunes and sync the iPod, if WHS will recognize the iPod.  Of course that defeats the purpose of WHS being a headless appliance. 

Does that Firefly media server work with protected AAC files?
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 8:05 PM
  • For AAC and ALAC files at least, and I think for some other file types as well, Firefly streams the actual file. This is how iTunes itself does it. So it arrives at the destination complete with Fairplay DRM intact, and it's the responsibility of the consumer to deal with the DRM issues.

So yes, it works with DRM-protected files. But no, your third-party consumer of AAC won't be able to play them, since Apple doesn't seem interested in licensing Fairplay.
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 12:53 AM
  • Firefly also only works as a streaming device (like having two iTunes open on the same network). You can't sync your iPod to it.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 3:38 PM
  •  nathanziarek wrote:
    Firefly also only works as a streaming device (like having two iTunes open on the same network). You can't sync your iPod to it.

I know   So unless Apple decides to release an iTunes Server (or something similar that'll work with the Home Server model and allow iPod syncing) I'll just have to save my pennies and get a Mac Mini to be a companion to my Home Server and just point its iTunes and iPhoto libraries at the Home Server's storage shares.  At least it won't add much power consumption.  Maybe I could even hack a power supply to run them both plugged into one power outlet.

Monday, June 18, 2007 5:34 PM