Reinstalling Windows XP with Genuine Advantage Kit. RRS feed

• Question

• I had a counterfeit version of WinXP installed on my computer and decided to order the Windows Genuine Advantage Kit online. Everything went well until I decided to reinstall WinXP with the CD I got in the mail. When I'd installed Windows, I selected "Activate Windows" and used the CD key I got in the mail with the Genuine Advantage Kit. What I got then was a message saying that "the number of times you can activate Windows with this product key has been exceeded".

If I can only use the CD key I got in an email after ordering the Genuine Advantage Kit once, then what's the point in getting a copy of WinXP in the mail? I feel screwed over. There should've been a warning in the email saying I could only use the CD key once.

Is there a way around this or did I throw away 143 dollars by reinstalling?

Saturday, November 18, 2006 6:13 PM

Answers

•  OskarJokull wrote:

I had a counterfeit version of WinXP installed on my computer and decided to order the Windows Genuine Advantage Kit online. Everything went well until I decided to reinstall WinXP with the CD I got in the mail. When I'd installed Windows, I selected "Activate Windows" and used the CD key I got in the mail with the Genuine Advantage Kit. What I got then was a message saying that "the number of times you can activate Windows with this product key has been exceeded".

If I can only use the CD key I got in an email after ordering the Genuine Advantage Kit once, then what's the point in getting a copy of WinXP in the mail? I feel screwed over. There should've been a warning in the email saying I could only use the CD key once.

Is there a way around this or did I throw away 143 dollars by reinstalling?

If you cannot successfully activate via the internet, then choose the alternative option to "activate by phone". 

The Activation Wizard displays the toll free number that you can dial.

You can open the Windows Product Activation wizard by clicking Start, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Saturday, November 18, 2006 8:30 PM