CRM 2013 in a VM RRS feed

• Question

• We have a small deployment (10 users). How would the performance be in a VM? I have a Hyper-V server  w/ 64GB RAM and an 8 core single CPU that I can add a VM to.

Right now we have it on a physical machine w/ 32GB RAM and a Xeon 3470 CPU

Monday, May 18, 2015 6:23 PM

All replies

• With the latest technology in VM you should be quite fine, the performance drop because of the VM is extremely low, I think max 3% or something, nothing you should notice with these specs.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Web Application Hardware Requirements

Component

Minimum

Recommended

Processor

2.9 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86- or x64-bit dual core processor with SSE2 instruction set

3.3 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86- or x64-bit dual core processor with SSE2 instruction set

Memory

2-GB RAM or more

4-GB RAM or more

Hard disk

1.5 GB of available hard disk space

2 GB of available hard disk space
    7200 RPM or more

Display

Super VGA with a resolution of 1024 x 768

Super VGA with a resolution higher than 1024 x 768

Halldór Jóhannsson

Monday, May 18, 2015 6:28 PM
  • Wow, those are pretty small specs. Are we way overkill on our current specs? I was thinking 16GB RAM and 4 vcores for the VM.

Monday, May 18, 2015 6:57 PM
  • Yeah I would say you brought a tank to a knife fight with those specs but you know, better safe than sorry 8)

since you only have 10 users I would say 4 cores and 8GB - 16GB Ram should be plenty even if you add a considerable amount of users later on.

You can always run performance monitoring on your current box to see how much resources the system uses and plan your resources in the VM from that.

Btw, just to be clear we are talking about the same thing, I am talking about the Windows services and Web component, if you are running the SQL server on the same machine then you need considerably more.

Halldór Jóhannsson

Monday, May 18, 2015 7:52 PM
  • Ahhh, good point. We ARE running SQL on the same box.
    Monday, May 18, 2015 8:03 PM
  • It might be prudent to split up the machines since you are using HyperV, setup 2 machines, 1 with CRM and 1 with SQL, this is the preferred setup with microsoft products.

However you can run the both on the same machine, defining hardware specs for SQL is a bit tricky though, it all depends on what version you have (Express, Standard, Enterprise) and if you are running the report server, analytics and all that stuff, also it matters how many databases you have there and how much the traffic is etc.

If you have a Standard Sql server that is only hosting the CRM databases and not alot of reporting then a SQL machine should not need alot of resources, 2-4 cores and 8-16gb ram.

So add that up if you are running on the same machine then you should get away with using 4-8 cores and 16-32gb ram, best thing with using HyperV is you can increase the resources if you need them, also take note that SQL server will eat up pretty much all the memory it can get to unless you set a maximum number to it, this can hampre the CRM web. When it comes to SQL I recommend using more than less memory.

If you are running both services (Sql and Crm) on the same machine then just try a setup with 4 cores and 32Gb ram, configure the SQL to use no more than 24gb, this should be plenty for you. Get a performance monitoring tool (HyperV should have some reporting you can use) and watch the resources for a while (enough to see the resource use when the system is used the most ) and then you can reconfigure if need be.

Just experiment, you can try 2 cores and 16gb(12 max sql) for this setup (Crm and SQL on the same server) just to see how it runs, if it is not working well then just increase the resources, the HyperV machine you described above should be plenty.

Mind you though I am not an expert on these matters but I have some experience running these systems.

Halldór Jóhannsson

Monday, May 18, 2015 8:34 PM