Create user if AD is installed in other server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am new to OCS. I am facing a problem in add new users, which is simple i think. But I have no idea with that, since there is no add user feature in OCS console. I have read some document, but they assumed the AD and OCS were installed on the same machine. However, my case is that I have two seperate server, one for AD and one for OCS. How can I add users in the OCS?

Thanks,
    Eric Chan
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 7:33 AM

All replies

• Eric - the tool you need is called Active Directory Users & Computers (ADUC).  It is installed automatically on all Windows 2003 servers but by default there is not a menu option for it.  The key is that you need both ADUC and the OCS admin tools installed on the same system.  On your OCS server go to Start/Run and type dsa.msc.  This will bring up ADUC and you will see a Communications tab and additional options when you right click a user.  Alternatively you can install the Windows 2003 Admin tools on your workstation (either via a download from microsoft.com or by running adminpak.msi from the i386 folder of a Windows 2003 disk) and the admin tools for OCS which you'll find as a link on the main setup window of the OCS installer UI.
    Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 12:58 PM
  • Eric,

You can also deploy the OCS Administrative tools directly to your AD Domain Controller if that is were you already manage AD accounts and objects.  As Mike mentioned the tools can be found on the right-sde of the OCS 2007 Deployment Wizard, or you can directly install them from the expanded OCS installation files at "setup\i386\setup\admintools.msi".
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:08 PM