Importing file with duplicate company names RRS feed

• Question

• Am importing a GoldMine database that has many duplicate company names (account name0. The names are duplicate, but they are different companies. Will this cause problems later?  Later when relating a contact (person name) to one of these duplicate account names, how do I tell the CRM which one to attach it to?

Also, after imported can I change the company name without the CRM losing track of related entities?

Thank you!

Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:38 PM

Answers

• CRM doesn't care whether you use the same names for multiple accounts. It uses an internal number to distinguish accounts so it is perfectly possible to have more than one account with the same name.

You can rename an account at any time and none of the related contacts will be lost.

You will have the problem that you describe though, in how will users now which account to relate a contact to. Two approaches, one get the user to create the contact from within the account. I assume there must be other attributes on an account that will distinguish it from other accounts.

Or name the accounts in such a way that they are distinguishable, e.g.  ABC Inc (A), ABC Inc (B) etc.

Note that CRM 4.0 has the ability to detect duplicate names and prompt the user to take action. CRM 3.0 does not have this ability (though it could be added via a third-party solution or your own development).

Sunday, December 30, 2007 9:23 AM
  • Thank you for your prompt reply...saved me a lot of work!

Sunday, December 30, 2007 3:22 PM

All replies

• CRM doesn't care whether you use the same names for multiple accounts. It uses an internal number to distinguish accounts so it is perfectly possible to have more than one account with the same name.

You can rename an account at any time and none of the related contacts will be lost.

You will have the problem that you describe though, in how will users now which account to relate a contact to. Two approaches, one get the user to create the contact from within the account. I assume there must be other attributes on an account that will distinguish it from other accounts.

Or name the accounts in such a way that they are distinguishable, e.g.  ABC Inc (A), ABC Inc (B) etc.

Note that CRM 4.0 has the ability to detect duplicate names and prompt the user to take action. CRM 3.0 does not have this ability (though it could be added via a third-party solution or your own development).

Sunday, December 30, 2007 9:23 AM
  • Thank you for your prompt reply...saved me a lot of work!

Sunday, December 30, 2007 3:22 PM