none
Some outstanding problems with the forums RRS feed

• Question

• Adding VB code to a posting used to work fine, but since the last update, comments show up colored as strings (red), strings show up colored as comments (green).
    • As moderators, moving threads to other forums is painful. The new “Forums Home” has a way to search for forums. Why is that not present on the "move thread" UI. We have to scroll down a huge list with dozens of forums, trying to find the right one to move a thread to. A search/filter on that list would make that job a whole lot easier
    • The breadcrumb links should ALWAYS start at 'forums home', as it stands now, they only go back to the sub category of that (for example in a VB forum, the breadcrumb links only go back to the Visual Studio Developer Center. Before that should be "Forums Home" or "Microsoft Developer Network".
    • We are on the cusp of .NET 4.5 coming out. That is now 7 major release versions of the .NET framework, yet it is still all grouped under .NET. If users could select what version they are using when making a post (even better have it save, so they don't have to select it each time, but make it selectable as some do work in multiple versions) this would make it much easier to provide answers that are usable. Instead now often times answers are given that are not usable because of the version being used by the OP.

Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Very good points and I absolutely agree, especially about the Move functionality. There needs to be a mechanism to search and also there should be a mechanism to move the question into Answers forum as this is where most of the Windows problems discussed and presently we just can point out that the forum is wrong.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Let's pick one. Which one should we talk about in this thread? Most of these issues are worlds apart... different people, reasons, answers, etc. And several of these issues are dupes of other threads. So can we pick one to discuss in this thread?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, May 11, 2012 7:46 PM
  • Ed,

The code color issue is simply a bug (a regressive bug at that, since it used to work fine), so that is really the only thing listed above that is a bug and 100% should be addressed and fixed.

The others are just suggestions as to ways to make the forum better. As a moderator, if I have to pick one, it is going to be to make moving threads easier, since it is really a painful process right now. The other things can be mitigated by me saving additional favorites in my browser.

Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com

Friday, May 11, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Okay well there's a suggestions and feedback forum for those.

The code block bug is a known issues and there's a future pass in progress for the code block feature. So that's the current answer for that issue.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:28 AM