Can't connect to WHS from any wireless client wag320N RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Please help.....I'm sure its something to do with DNS names or the way that the router (linksys WAG320N is handling wireless isolation (even though its AP isolation is disabled)

I can't connect any of my wireless clients to my WHS ...again.  This happened a few weeks ago resulting in me having to do a full WHS reinstall, which didn't cure it.  What seemed to sort it out was ensuring that all my clients were on the same domain (workgroup) as the WHS, and adding the server name and address to the clients host file.

However, its now started again.  They connect fine via a wired connection, but wireless is no go.  I can connect to the WHS website using http://servername.homeserver.com

From any wireless client, I can't connect using the connector or remote desktop, can't ping the server (name or IP address), and it isn't seen in windows explorer (either in 'network, or my mapped shares).

My WHS Event viewer list the following 2 errors

1, System log,  Error - Source NetBT

The name "workgroup   :1d" could not be registered on the interface with IPaddress 192.168.2.10.  The machine with the IP address 192.168.2.200 did not allow the name to be claimed by the machine 

2, System log, Source TermServDevices

Driver Microsoft Shared Fax driver required for printer FAx is unknown

My desktop (Win 7 64 bit wired) can see the laptop but not vice versa.  The WHS can see the laptop in "My network places

I've done the http://servername:55000/enrollId/id.xml - works fine from WHS (remote connection from desktop), but when doing this on laptop I get page can not be found.  Same results on port 56000.

I've checked the IIS manager in WHS and have 3 websites all running (default, WHS site and WHS mobile)

Home server toolkit gives the following errors:

Cannot connect to Server transport, server backup, internal web site (simple page), server secure internal web site, server internal website (password hint page), server internal web site (ASPX page), server internal secure web services, UPnP discovery failed, can't connect to server internal web services, name resolution failed, cannot ping server by name.

I've allowed discovery.exe, client restore wizrd.exe, backupengine.exe, whs tray app.exe, and whsconsoleclient.exe in Norton Security 2010 (and have diasabled Norton - all to no avail)

I've reinstalled WHS connector and it can't find my server.

Here is some info:

Router Linksys WAG320n (wireless AP isolation disabled)

I've set it up (following advice on another thread here) as:

• DHCP server enabled
    • starting IP address: 192.168.2.100
    • static DNS1 192.168.2.1  (previously blank but still had same issue)
    • static DNS2 195.74.xxx.xxx  (previously blank but still had same issue)
    • static DNS 195.74.xxx.xxx (previously blank but still had same issue)

following ports have been manually opened: 80, 443, 55000, 4125 (although UpnP should have taken care of these)

QoS settings:  WMM (media sharing) disabled, Internet access priority (enabled) - (unless I have theses like this my inernet bandwidth grinds to a halt when the other half watches a film on the HTPC)

WHS Settings:

Static IP: 192.168.2.10

DNS as Static DNS 2 and 3 above.

From cmd>ipconfig /all

Windows IP configuration
    • Host Name:  server name
    • Primary DNS Suffix: 
    • Node Type: Unknown
    • IP routing Enabled: No
    • WINS Proxy enabled: No

Ethernet adaptor Local Connection:

• Connection Specific DNS Suffix:
    • Description:  Blah, Blah
    • Physical Address:  Blah blah
    • DHCP enabled: No
    • IP address: 192.168.2.10
    • Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    • Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
    • DNS servers : 195.74.xxx.xxx, 195.74.xxx.xxx

Laptop Client settings (Win 7 32 bit - wireless)

Windows IP configuration

• Host Name:  laptop name
    • Primary DNS Suffix: 
    • Node Type: Hybrid
    • IP routing Enabled: No
    • WINS Proxy enabled: No
    • DNS Suffix Search list: WAG320N

Ethernet adaptor Bluetooth Network Connection: Not relevant (I hope)

Wireless LAN adaptor Network Connection
    • Connection Specific DNS Suffix: WAG 320N
    • Description:  Blah, Blah
    • Physical Address:  Blah blah
    • DHCP enabled: Yes
    • Auto Configuration enabled: Yes
    • Link Local IPv6 Address : fe80::c943:473e:c05c:d2cb%12 (preferred)
    • IPv4 Address: 192.168.2.100
    • Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    • Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
    • DHCP server: 192.168.2.1
    • DHCPv6 IAID: 218113630
    • DHCPv6 Client DVID: Blah blah
    • DNS Servers:  192.168.2.1, 195.74.YYY.YYY, 195.74.YYY.YYY, 195.74.XXX.XXX, 195.74.XXX.XXX  (the yyy.yyy suffixes are a pair of old dns addresses that were previously in use by my ISP)
    • Netbios over tcpip: Enabled

Now this is a bit weird - I seem to have some tunnel adaptors - don't know where they came from.....

Tunnel Adaptor Reusable ISATAP Interface

• Media State : Disconnected
    • Description: Microsoft ISATAP Adaptor
    • Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    • DHCP Enabled: No
    • Auto configuration Enabled: Yes

Tunnel Adaptor isatap.wag320N

• Description: Microsoft ISATAP Adaptor #2
    • Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

Tunnel Adaptor isatap.{2a20cd52-3559-4e31 blah bla blah}

• Description: Microsoft ISATAP Adaptor #3
    • Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

Tunnel Adaptor Local Area connection * 11:

• Connection Specific DNS:
    • Description: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo Interface
    • Autoconiguration Enabled: Yes
    • IPv6 Address:2001:0:5ef5 blah blah  (preferred)
    • Link-Local IPv6 Address: fe80::2467:2564 blah blah (Preferred)
    • Default Gateway:   ::
    • Netbios over Tcpip: Disabled
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:49 AM

Answers

• Mmmmm, I think I've fixed it - and wish I'd tried this before typing that mammoth post above, and wasting your time...

I enabled WMM in the QoS settings and suddenly all is working again.

The linksys router's description of WMM is as follows so heaven only knows why this was stopping it working...

Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) support is enabled by default. If WMM is also supported by your wireless clients, then voice and multimedia traffic will be given higher priority than other traffic.

Thanks for your time (and sorry for wasting it)

• Marked as answer by Zack1uk Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:01 PM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:57 PM

All replies

• Are you running two routers?

On the WAG320n connect your wired network on the LAN side, not the WAN.  It should work okay then.  You don't need two networks for a home setup.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:21 AM
  • Cheers Al

Nope - the only router is this one - I do have 2 gigabit switches (unmanaged) and did have a second router (a buffalo)  acting as an additional wireless AP - linked via a powerline connection (on the lan side of the linksys), but this had DHCP turned off and used a different wireless SSID to the linksys one.  this was just to extend wireless range out into the garden.  However, this second router has been turned off for a few weeks now...

the wag320n is configured as wireless adsl modem router and although it has the facility to turn one of the LAN ports into a WAN pot this is disabled.

Cheers

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:28 AM
  • my physical network layout is as follows, if that helps:

Wag320N to switch1 and desktop PC

switch1 to WHS, spare LAn cable, Switch2 and powerline to buffalo wireless AP (this is now unplugged)

switch2 to Playstation3 and HTPC

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:39 AM
    They connect fine via a wired connection, but wireless is no go.
    Based on this, you're right that it's not a problem with Windows Home Server. Try rebooting your router to see if that clears the issue up temporarily. If it does, you'll either need to reboot your router when you notice that you're having trouble connecting wireless clients to your server (i.e. live with it), or you'll need to replace the router. If rebooting the router doesn't work, try borrowing another router.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:53 AM
  • Thanks Ken

Rebooting doesn't cure it.

I have noticed that, on occasion, when I disconnect the wireless client (from within networking and sharing centre) and then reconnect.  I get a brief whs console message (eg Your network is at threat it has been x days since blah was backed up), it then almost immediately goes grey.

It did work up until a couple of days ago - and haven't changed anything on my router since then (until the problems started again).

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:59 AM
  • Mmmmm, I think I've fixed it - and wish I'd tried this before typing that mammoth post above, and wasting your time...

I enabled WMM in the QoS settings and suddenly all is working again.

The linksys router's description of WMM is as follows so heaven only knows why this was stopping it working...

Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) support is enabled by default. If WMM is also supported by your wireless clients, then voice and multimedia traffic will be given higher priority than other traffic.

Thanks for your time (and sorry for wasting it)

• Marked as answer by Zack1uk Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:01 PM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Glad you got it sorted :-)
    --
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:39 PM