Getting mpiexec.exe to run simple hello world RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed the HPC Pack 2008 Beta 2, and I am trying to execute a simple hello world program with the command:

mpiexec.exe -d 3 C:\Hello\Hello.exe

The command just hangs, and the last couple lines of the debug output say:

ERROR: AcceptSecurityContext failed with error 0x80090308
    ERROR: unable to process the sspi server iteration buffer

If anyone has any ideas what my problem might be, I would greatly appreciate some help getting going with this.
    Friday, June 27, 2008 3:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Eric,

The correct way for your application would be to call the HPC scheduler API's (the API for job submit) to submit your MPI applicaiton to the cluster. (rather than invoking mpiexec directly)

How does your interactive application exchange data with the MPI application? (e.g., using files?)

However, the above is not related to the error that you're seeing. What is the result if you get when you run your hello.exe program localy as I described in my prev posting?

thanks,
    .Erez
    Monday, June 30, 2008 11:25 PM

All replies

• Are your compute nodes and users part of an Active Directory domain?

Friday, June 27, 2008 11:26 PM
  • Yes, each node is in my AD domain, and the user account running mpiexec is the same as the one running smpd on each node.
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 4:35 AM
  • thanks,
    I'm a bit confused as how do you run your job; can you share more details?

usualy when using Windows HPC Server, one submits a job to the cluster; thus using the msmpi service on each node.
    are you using "job submit <params> mpiexec -d 3 c:\hello\hello.exe"

the other way to check your program is to run it in "sdk mode"; on the head node run "mpiexec -d 3 c:\hello\hello.exe".
    this will run mpi on the local node without using any daemon (deafults to one process per core).

thanks,
    .Erez
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:53 AM
  • I have an interactive application, so I am trying to use MS-MPI without the scheduler.  So I am just calling mpiexec directly - is that the recommended way of using MPI with an interactive application?  Or is there another better way to do it?

I plan to manually configure smpd.exe to run as a service on each node, then have my code call mpiexec with the parameters set at runtime.

I am still pretty new at using MPI, so if I am doing something out of the ordinary, or if there is a better way to accomplish what I am trying to do, I would love to hear suggestions.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:44 PM
  • Hi Eric,

The correct way for your application would be to call the HPC scheduler API's (the API for job submit) to submit your MPI applicaiton to the cluster. (rather than invoking mpiexec directly)

How does your interactive application exchange data with the MPI application? (e.g., using files?)

However, the above is not related to the error that you're seeing. What is the result if you get when you run your hello.exe program localy as I described in my prev posting?

thanks,
    .Erez
    Monday, June 30, 2008 11:25 PM
  • Erez-
    I have this working now.  I am able to call mpiexec directly, and my job runs just fine without touching the scheduler.  I had to disable Winsock because it kept blue-screening my machine (took me a long time to figure that one out).

Thanks for all your help - I really appreciate your time.

Best regards,
    Eric
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 3:59 PM
  • I'm glad its working for you Eric.

.Erez
    Monday, July 7, 2008 7:03 PM
  • How were you able to get mpiexec to run without the scheduler?

TheWitness

True understanding begins when we understand lot little we truly understand.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 9:10 PM