Fit-It needs to be fixed!!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• After downloading fixit and attempting to install, the following error window appears "Fix It Centre Setup encountered an error.  An unexpected error has occurred.  Please close and try to run Setup again later".

I have tried this on 2 computers and get the same error window.

Anybody have any idea?

Monday, April 19, 2010 1:32 PM

Answers

• This happens because Fix It Center contains an autorun.inf file. As this file is used by many viruses and malware, some anti-virus and anti-malware porgrams disable access to it. There are also solutions online for disabling autorun.inf files via a Registry key.

In my case it was a feature for disabling autorun.inf files completely via a Registry key. Create a new text file and paste the following text into it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf]
    @="@SYS:DoesNotExist"

Next, save the file with .reg extension - restoreautorun.reg, for example. Make sure you select "All Files" from Save as type box in Notepad! Close Notepad.

Then double-click the file in Windows Explorer and answer Yes in the dialog. Restart your computer and try running FixIt setup again.

XP users can also try using Microsoft's Autoplay Repair Wizard at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en - but I am not sure it helps in case of the registry key described above.

help.artaro.eu - somewhat helpful
    • Proposed as answer by Cristian Lefter Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:20 AM
    • Edited by MargusS Sunday, April 25, 2010 12:26 PM Removed autorun.inf blocking instructions as this might cause similar problems in the future
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Chow - MSFTModerator Sunday, September 5, 2010 3:16 PM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:58 AM

All replies

• Are these two computers connected?  Could be a virus/malware/unpatched issue.  Are you legit?  I haven't run fix it yet so can't say more.  Does your system meet the min requirements?
    Monday, April 19, 2010 6:17 PM
  • I am having the exact same problems I get to the acept part and I get the same unkown error message. I am completly legit. i understand that beta is  work in progress programming . I will try again at a later date.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:15 PM
  • Very same issue here on Vista. Disabling Avast didn't help.
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:17 AM
  • This happens because Fix It Center contains an autorun.inf file. As this file is used by many viruses and malware, some anti-virus and anti-malware porgrams disable access to it. There are also solutions online for disabling autorun.inf files via a Registry key.

In my case it was a feature for disabling autorun.inf files completely via a Registry key. Create a new text file and paste the following text into it:

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf]

Next, save the file with .reg extension - restoreautorun.reg, for example. Make sure you select "All Files" from Save as type box in Notepad! Close Notepad.

Then double-click the file in Windows Explorer and answer Yes in the dialog. Restart your computer and try running FixIt setup again.

XP users can also try using Microsoft's Autoplay Repair Wizard at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en - but I am not sure it helps in case of the registry key described above.

• Proposed as answer by Cristian Lefter Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:20 AM
    • Edited by MargusS Sunday, April 25, 2010 12:26 PM Removed autorun.inf blocking instructions as this might cause similar problems in the future
    • Marked as answer by Daniel Chow - MSFTModerator Sunday, September 5, 2010 3:16 PM
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:58 AM

If you want to restore autorun.inf blocking later, paste the following information into a new text file and save it with .reg extension, then launch the new file and answer Yes in the prompt:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf]

@MargusS

Thanks for your suggestion and patronage. As you pointed out, the presence of the registry key you mentioned is one of possible root causes for the problem. Would you mind revising your suggestion so not to recommend adding the registry key unless it was there in the first place? Adding the registry key could lead to undesirable system changes, including the same problem this thread attempts to solve. Many thanks for your help and understanding.

Best regards,

Daniel Chow

Sr. Software Development Engineer

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

This message is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 6:00 AM
  • Dear customers,

Thank you for your interest in Microsoft Fix it Center (beta).

I'd like to gather a bit more info from you to further understand the problem encountered.

1. What is the anti-malware software installed on the affected computers? Have you also run any one-time malware protection (or vaccination) software in the past? If so, which ones?

2. What is the output you get from running the following command line in a command prompt?

reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf"

To launch the command prompt, you may click on the Start button, type in "cmd.exe" and then hit Enter.

Regards,

Daniel Chow

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

This email is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 6:05 AM
  • Daniel, I removed instructions on creating the registry key although I did not really recommend creating that registry key for anyone :) But I do understand your concern about users making changes that are not standard. It really takes long nights sometimes to figure out strange reasons of software not installing or working properly :)

Sunday, April 25, 2010 12:38 PM
  • Mr Chow,

I ran the reg query in command prompt, and it reported that it was unable to find the specified registry key or value. I also ran the restore autorun that MarguS suggested, and I still can't install Fix It Center. I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with only Microsoft Security Essentials running as an anti virus. I tried installing with both the firewall off and Security Essentials off to no avail. 

Do you have any other suggestions?

I would really like to have Fix It Center on my computer.

Thanks,

Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:36 AM
  • @MargusS

Would you mind kindly telling me which antivirus and antimalware products are installed on the affected computer and which one-time antimalware solution you have run on the computer in the past?

Many thanks.

Regards

Daniel Chow
    Product Quality and Online

Saturday, May 8, 2010 2:54 AM
  • Very same issue here on Vista. Disabling Avast didn't help.

@Broni

What is the output you get from running the following command line in a command prompt?

reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf"

To launch the command prompt, you may click on the Start button, type in "cmd.exe" and then hit Enter.

Regards

Daniel Chow

Saturday, May 8, 2010 3:24 AM
  • I am having the exact same problems I get to the acept part and I get the same unkown error message. I am completly legit. i understand that beta is  work in progress programming . I will try again at a later date.

@Gig's

1. What is the anti-malware software installed on the affected computers? Have you also run any one-time malware protection (or vaccination) software in the past? If so, which ones?

2. What is the output you get from running the following command line in a command prompt?

Regards

Daniel Chow

Saturday, May 8, 2010 3:26 AM
  • I keep getting the same message.  I tried the suggestions listed below, but I don't have autorun.inf on my computer.  I am running Vista-32.  Help?

I would love to have Fix it Center on my computer!

Thanks!

Monday, May 24, 2010 8:44 PM
  • Dear customers,

I'd like to gather a bit more info from you to further understand the problem encountered.

Regards,

Daniel Chow

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

1. My av soft is Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 and Rising Antivirus Free Editon 2010

2. The out put is:

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf
        <NONAME> REG_SZ  @SYS:DOESNOTEXIT

HEEEEEEEEELP ME !!!

Monday, June 28, 2010 8:13 AM
  • This is all too complicated to me, and I don't mess with registry for fear of messing up something.  Ok for you computer pros, but us stay at home grandma's aren't up for the complicated stuff.

My problem that fix it can't seem to fix, and the ask section won't help me with is:  I have no action column and can not click on run button to activate the fix it scan to see what the problems if any are on my computer.  down loaded program twice with no problem.  Can't use it.  Any simple suggestions?

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:27 PM
  • I made the registry change and Fixit installed properly on XP SP3. Do I understand from your reply that it would be best to enable autorun again. My antivirus(MSE)and malware program(MBAM)seem to work fine. Thanks in advance for a response 
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 6:04 AM
  • It is now September and I am still getting the same error. Downloaded the app twice and tried to install it, no luck.

I ran the reg query, it said does not exist:

C:\Users\User>reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Curren
    tVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\A
    utorun.inf
        (Default)    REG_SZ    @SYS:DoesNotExistRohn

C:\Users\User>

I also used WinUtilities Registry Search 3.6 to look for it, not found.

I am running Vista Business SP2 patched up to date. Anti-malware I am running is:

• Spybot S&D
    • AVG Free 9,0
    • Ad-Aware
    • SpywareBlaster
    • Windows Defender

Saturday, September 4, 2010 10:31 PM
  • @arcgon0801

The restoreautorun.reg approach MargusS listed in this thread should solve your case. You may skip the step regarding the Microsoft Autoplay Repair Wizard tool. Please kindly update this thread with the result.

Regards

Daniel Chow

Sunday, September 5, 2010 3:22 PM
  • @Rohn0007

Thanks for providing the information. The restoreautorun.reg approach MargusS listed in this thread should solve your case. You may skip the step regarding the Microsoft Autoplay Repair Wizard tool. Please kindly update this thread with the result.

Regards

Daniel Chow

Sunday, September 5, 2010 3:22 PM
  • After downloading fixit and attempting to install, the following error window appears "Fix It Centre Setup encountered an error.  An unexpected error has occurred.  Please close and try to run Setup again later".

I have tried this on 2 computers and get the same error window.

Anybody have any idea?

Friday, November 26, 2010 9:35 PM
  • its work with me i use win xp sp3

thank you "  MargusS "

Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:38 AM
  • its the same with grandpaws !!1931 may not have been a very good year
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:22 PM
  • i use xp home  sp3  and i do not know enough . it seams that my attempt to fix it did not work please elaberate how your systems worked . i am on my first computer  what do you recommend
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:29 PM
  •  Create a new text file and paste the following text into it:

After that reboot.

I was having the same trouble like many other people trying to install Fix it center....

It works for me, I'm using windows xp sp3.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:47 PM
  • I was having the same trouble.
    Friday, January 21, 2011 6:17 PM
  • same issue here Windows Vista Home sp2

Malwarebytes Antimalware

Microsoft Security Essentials

Spyware Blaster

FixitCenter_Run won't install keeps popping up with error

reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf" cmd said unable to find

Friday, January 28, 2011 5:19 AM
  • My prob is slightly different...I get it to install ok... but then it comes up with the gathering info window.... 5 minutes later it tells me it "can't d/load troubleshooters...please check internet connection"... my connection is fine ...have no probs with anything else  :0(
    Friday, January 28, 2011 9:40 AM
  • Daniel,

The restoreautorun.reg approach MargusS listed in this thread worked great for me with Windows 7 Home Premium, Norton Internet Security 2011, and SpywareBlaster. 

Prior to this, the Mr. Fit-it Center would not install (Setup encountered and error...) and individual troubleshooters I downloaded separately would not run either (Troubleshooting cannot continue.. This troubleshooter doesn't apply to this computer).

Is there a reason I should add back (import) the autorun.inf key to disable autorun for security reasons or leave it as is ?

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Hi Jmperea,  I am having the same problem installing Fix it and I am a novice at this so please pardon my ignorance and please bear with me.  I'm using Windows SP3 also.  Per your instructions, I created a text file and pasted your text into it. 

In "File Name" box - What do I use?  Is it "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00"?

Your instructions state, "save the file with .reg extension - restoreautorun.reg"  Please explain how I "save the file with .reg extension - restoreauto.run.reg.

In "Save as type" box, I selected "All Files".

In "Encoding" box, the choices are:  ANSI, Unicode, Unicode big endian and UTF-8.  Which do I select?

Thank you for your help.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Hello,

answering to linda92672: Just leave all as it is and save as "restoreautorun.reg" with "allFiles" as Extension.

Renaming the key in the registry under windows XP pro sp3 worked for me as well but not after restarting !!, only after shutting down and starting later. Thanks !!

Unfortunately the installation does not finish properly. At 75% it stays without going further.

Any idea why this happens ?

Thommy

Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Hi All,

I started a new thread for Vista SP1, MSE only in the forum after trying the MargusS fix and the Reg Query process...still have no joy :***((((

I believe if I finally am able to run Fix It, that many Windows Update failure issues 80080005, Apple Software install failures (iTunes 10, Safari 5, Quicktime) and Google Chrome crashes might be reconciled.

I have also tried the TrustedInstaller registry re-write, uninstalling all Apple products, uninstalling and installing PowerShell manually, several sfc/scanow runs, running from my original Vista install CD and some other stuff I can't remember at this writing.All were done with Admin priv and most in the cmd. mode.

This is soooooo effing frusterating...It all started with Windows Updates not loading almost a year ago. An extended call to Microsoft in which they took control of my computer and did Trusted Installer stuff resulted in their recommendation to clean install Vista (!@!@!@). I'd rather clear out everything and install XP TYVM!!!

Thanks for listening ;)))

Inga

Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:40 PM
  • Hi, I tried and :

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\xxxxx> reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Curr
    entVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf"
    ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.

C:\Users\xxxxx>

would I change that to ... Windows Vista sp2\...

since I am running windows vista sp2?

Saturday, December 24, 2011 7:15 AM
  • I too am a stay at home gramma of 7. Same thing happened here. I downloaded and when I click run, it comes up with error occured.  I downloaded this to see if it would help me figure out why the videos I made on this computer will not play on this computer now. I have no idea what i am doing, and it is fustrating that know matter what I search for, for help, it always comes up with stuff I was not asking help for. good grief

okay
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:03 PM
  • i too have the error 16977921-2147024891 , and that fixit center cant finish install.

i tried the reg key removel and rebooted.  then tried to reinstall fixit center.  no luck.

i am running xp ver 2002, sp3, microsoft security essentials.  i have run malware bytes in the past occassionally to check for malware.

the output from the registry query is that 'the system was unable to find the specified registry key or value".

if you have any other suggestion on how to get the software to install i would love to hear of it.

thanks.

jim

Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:31 PM
  • I had that error once workin on a person's computer and i found this worked well to get rid of the error code read this thread....

Do you mean you see an error message like this:

Microsoft Fix-it Center has encountered an unexpected error, please try again. Error Code 16977921-2147024891.

What is the issue you are having that you think Fix-it Center will resolve, or do you just want to install it for the fun of it?

What is your XP version and Service Pack?

You must have at least Service Pack 3 to use the Fix-it Center.

You also most have installed on your system at least Microsoft  MSXML 6.0.

Check in Add/Remove Programs and see what version of MSXML you have and if it is not at least 6.0, uninstall all the old MSXML programs (the old version is 4.0).  There may be several MSXML KB items listed.  Uninstall all of it/them since you are going to reinstall the latest version.

If Fix-it Center also show up in Add/Remove Programs, uninstall it because you are going to reinstall it too.

Reboot, check Add/Remove Programs and make sure the old MSXML stuff is really gone, then using Internet Explorer, go to the Microsoft Live Update site and download and install MSXML 6.0, reboot.

If you don't see MSXML 6.0 offered in the Live Update, download and install it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=993c0bcf-3bcf-4009-be21-27e85e1857b1

After installing, reboot your system.

Then run your Fix-it Center install again (you uninstalled it before, right?)

• Proposed as answer by Rublstein Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:53 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:48 PM
  • Hi Rublstein

i have various usb and memory card problems as detailed in this forum http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/windows-xp-computer-stopped-recognizing-my/565477e6-2e5f-40a9-8ae5-78ee90b6ecf7?page=1&tm=1335290915033#footer

i would really appreciate it if you could take the time to read it and let me know your thoughts, if getting the fixit powershell is the way to go to start resolving some of my issues

as you said in your comments above, this will explain my faults etc.

i am running XP media center with sp3 but i keep getting the same updates which are 0kb size files x 2 to install on shutdown since a few weeks.

i am also unable to use system restore which i have only used once before years ago and it was fine.

thanks in advance

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:38 AM
  • I just find this problem rather funny. The fixit center is supposed to fix problems not creat them :o)
    Saturday, June 16, 2012 10:02 PM
  • Thanks!! It's downloading..

Question: Do I need to delete the registry addition now?

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:10 PM
  • I have given up attempting to fix this problem which is error code 0x80040154 on Microsoft Fix It Center.

Here is the message I receive:  "troubleshooting wizard cannot continue"

Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Fix It Center\SAP Folder\Systems\98AEC7CC-BF29-41CD-8055-6D904957....

Error Code: 0x80040154

User: Gateway\owner

Context: Elevated

Can you help me with this problem?

Harold Nelson

Saturday, October 20, 2012 10:29 PM
  • I know this is helpful to your standard computer geek, but...consider what you'd say to a blonde??  I  need more guidance here...I'm on VISTA 64...help

Friday, November 16, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Daniel,

I was always told to be very careful with playing around in the Registry.

What I don't understand is everyone seems to have the same problem - so why doesn't Microsoft rewrite their software to fix this problen - afterall, you are the "experts".

reknaw

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:00 PM