none
Windows Phone app is crashing at startup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I developed a Xamarin Forms app which I am publishing now into the Windows store. However I have a problem with the release build of the app for Windows Phone (it is built with Silverlight 8.0 SDK). Here is the store listing.

When I download the app from the store it crashes at startup without any error or without getting any crashlog (in dashboard) or hockeyapp. 

Here is a bit of historical information:

- During submission, the reviewers tested the app and noticed that it crashes

- I managed to reproduce the crash by installing the release build on my test device

- I resubmitted the app with a new release xap file which did not crash on the test device (I assumed somehow the initial build was broken)

- Now, after the resubmission, if I download it crashes again, but i see it working on my side by manually installing the release build.

Note: I did take a look at this troubleshooting guide from microsoft and checked everything.

I don't know what to do anymore... I don't have any ways to debug this weird problem.

Please help, thanks.

• Moved by Breeze Liu Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:13 AM off topic
    Monday, January 15, 2018 7:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Raver991,

thanks for posting here.

If it worked fine when you tried to sideload the app in the device? Do you have some specific code you used when the app launches?  You can try to add the global Exception handler in the App.xaml.cs file of your App.

Besides, You can use the Windows Phone power tools to view logs which stored on the Windows Phone to see whether these are some crash logs.

Best Regards,

Yong Lu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:50 AM
  • Sorry for taking so long. In the meantime I tried couple of things, but i still could not find a solution to the problem.

To answer your questions:

- Yes, sideloading the app on my test device works fine.

- Yes, there is app specific code that I run when app launches, like initialisation code for (Xamarin Forms, for example).

But the question at this point is why it's not crashing when I test it...

- I know about the global exception handler. How would you suggest using it for debugging my problem? Just with handled=true ?

Since I integrated HockeyApp crashlogging, I was hoping for some crashlogs to be uploaded so I can debug this, but nothing.

- I used Windows Phone power tools, but if I cannot reproduce the issue anymore, so no crash logs.

AFAIK the xap package gets rebundled for Win 10 mobile during the submission process and I assume that something happens during this process.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Roland

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 3:55 PM
  • Hi Raver991,

Since you are developing a Xamarin Forms app, I suggest you go to the Xamarin Forums for a suitable support.

By the way, if your app gets far enough to run the HockeyApp initialization code, you can see https://support.hockeyapp.net/kb/client-integration-windows-and-windows-phone/hockeyapp-for-applications-on-windows#crash-reporting for how to enable crash reporting within HockeyApp and https://support.hockeyapp.net/kb/client-integration-windows-and-windows-phone/how-to-instrument-applications-on-windows-for-crash-reporting for more advanced instrumentation. More details on HockeyApp, please see  https://rink.hockeyapp.net/help.

Best Regards,

Yong Lu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:06 AM