how to copy all transactions of a previous fund to a new named fund? RRS feed

• Question

• Vanguard changed my fund to an "Addmiral" fund with a different fund's name and symbol. Money shows this transaction as "add shares", but all previous transactions are still listed under the old fund symbol. The old fund with all transactions are are still there as "hidden" investment. Is there a way to copy these transactions into the new named fund? 

Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:08 AM

All replies

• What program are you using? Is this in a tax-deferred account?
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:50 AM
  • One comment: you don't want to just copy the old transactions to the new fund--the shares and price for each transaction match the onld fund not the new one.

Money doesn't have any great ways to deal with this. I entered this as a Sell and a Buy and accepted the fact that I'll have to sort out the erroneous gains reporting on my own. Remove Shares/Add Shares is another possibility but you'd still have reporting problems to solve by hand. Another possibility is doing a "Split" to adjust the number of shares (and an Add or Remove to adjust the fractional error a Split generally produces) and then changing the name/symbol of the old investment to the new one.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Actually only the name and symbol has changed. Price and number of shares are the same, But since the new fund (Windsor Admiral) has a new symbol, all new transaction downloads go to the new fund. I was wondering, could I maybe just change the old fund name and symbol to the new? Would Money accept it?

BTW I am using Moneu 06 and Pocket Sence scripts work like a charm for me.  What a life saver!!!

Sunday, July 10, 2011 5:42 PM
  • In your case, I would just change the name and symbol then, but add a note either by a dummy transaction or in the investment details (memo field) to remind you of the change later (Schedule D time, etc).
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:46 PM
  • As Dick said, you can do an appropriate split and rename the old security. This will allow the basis to be maintained for your taxable account.

The problem is that you already created a new security that will match later downloads. If you had originally seen the Admiral shares coming in and identified it as the same as your existing security, that would have let Money know they were the same. Then you would have voided the extra AddShares and RemoveShares transactions.

Starting in Money 2007, there was a CombineWith function that could combine your old and newly defined securities. With Money 2006, you might  be better off in restoring a backup that predated the Admiral conversion. If that is not handy, and you don't care to install Sunset to get the CombineWith, there is a way to get Money to re-ask if the Admiral shares are already known under a different name.

Post the ratio you would be looking for (AdmiralSharesReceived/OldShares). We can provide the required ratio of short integers required for the split entry.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:53 PM
  • Actually only the name and symbol has changed. Price and number of shares are the same,

You sure about that? What are the old and new symbols? When I have done this at Vanguard, the exchange has never been 1:1.
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:58 PM
  • you are absolutely correct and caught me red faced. The original Vanguard/Windsor fund (VWNFX) with 2562.619 shares were converted into the new Vanguard Windsor II fund Admiralshares (VWNAX) with 1443.793 shares.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 3:47 AM
  • You would split the shares 14937 shares for every 26512 shares. That still leaves the fact that you already defined a new fund that will be matched to future downloads.

Decide which of the three methods you want to use to handle that.

methods:

1. Restore a backup to a time before creating the new security.

2. Use CombineWith command in Money Plus

3. Import special OFX file to disassociate the newly defined security from its current CUSIP (special indentifying number).

Monday, July 11, 2011 3:53 AM
  • Please see my next post and many thanks for your help.

I don't have an old backup file and I really don't want to fool around with the Sunset edition, I am very happy with my Money 2006.

If we do the split with the old shares there still would be the problem of renaming them for future activities. Am I correct?

Monday, July 11, 2011 3:57 AM
  • Renaming is easy. The problem is doing away with the new security being associated with future downloads.

In addition to the three methods named below, there is one more that may or may not work. For now, consider the restore method.

Then after the restore, do these:

1. Split VWNFX as described below.

2. Rename VWNFX to the Admiral name and apply the new symbol.

3. Download again. When Money asks if Admiral is new or is already known, select the renamed fund from the drop-down list. When it asks if Winsor II is new, create a new security called FakeFund and say that Winsor II is that. Then Void the remove shares for FakeFund. Void the AddShares  for both FakeFund and Admiral. You can delete them some day, but for now void them.

If you have a lot of work into the file since the conversion, we can discuss one of the other two methods.

Monday, July 11, 2011 4:31 AM
  • tried to split the old Windsor and came up with  .5634 share of new for 1 share of old. Problem is, error message came up: Please enter a whole number between 1 and 65565.  what ever that means?
    Monday, July 11, 2011 3:19 PM
  • tried to split the old Windsor and came up with  .5634 share of new for 1 share of old. Problem is, error message came up: Please enter a whole number between 1 and 65565.  what ever that means?

"You would split the shares 14937 shares for every 26512 shares."  Both of those numbers are between 1 and 65565. Why that number? It is the largest number that can fit into an unsigned 16-bit number. See post, from about 12 hours 27 minutes prior to this one, below.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 4:23 PM
  • thanks, here one more question after the split. You said Sunset has the "combinewith" feature. Does Sunset run side by side with Money 06?  Or, I could run Sunset on a different computer, import my current Money backup, make the necessary corrections and import this backup into  Money 06 again. Will that work?

BTW, found the integral split calculator and came up with 14431 for 25621.  Worked like a charm.

• Edited by guschwa Monday, July 11, 2011 7:24 PM
    Monday, July 11, 2011 4:42 PM
  • thanks, here one more question after the split. You said Sunset has the "combinewith" feature. Does Sunset run side by side with Money 06?  Or, I could run Sunset on a different computer, import my current Money backup, make the necessary corrections and import this backup into  Money 06 again. Will that work?

I think it could be on the same computer if you pay close attention to not have the earlier version uninstalled during Sunset install. It is probably best viewed as a replacement. Money 2006 cannot read a Sunset file. Also, file associations (OFX, QIF) will be to the Sunset install.

If you are still geting automated prices etc not coming via PocketSense from 2006, you might be interested in the special OFX file that will cause Money to re-ask if the Admiral shares are already defined in the file. That file has a fake tranaction with a new CUSIP that you will say matches the new security that you want ignored later.

If you use CombineWith, you will want to get rid of the Winsor II symbol in the file.

Monday, July 11, 2011 7:20 PM
  • "Money 2006 cannot read a Sunset file" But Sunset will create a *.mny file and that one I can import to Money2006, correct? I would like to try the CombineWith, I am still getting automated quotes without PocketSense, so I also would be interested in the QFX file and where to find it. Do instructions come with it?
    Monday, July 11, 2011 9:17 PM
  • "Money 2006 cannot read a Sunset file" But Sunset will create a *.mny file and that one I can import to Money2006, correct? I would like to try the CombineWith, I am still getting automated quotes without PocketSense, so I also would be interested in the QFX file and where to find it. Do instructions come with it?

1. Money Plus Deluxe Sunset can convert a Money 2006 file. Money 2006 cannot read or convert a Money Plus Deluxe Sunset file. You would want to keep separately named copies for the different versions to use.

2. Here are the instructions I wrote along with the contents of the OFX file:

Disassociate Mutual Fund

The purpose of this procedure is disassociate a security from the
    download process.  The problem this cures is that Money associates
    downloaded fund by CUSIP.  Renaming and/or changing the symbol is
    not sufficient to appear as a different security.

Create dis_mf.ofx by cutting and pasting the portions between the
    Begin and End lines (below) into a file named dis_mf.ofx.

I suggest making an extra copy of your Money file as a precaution.

File->Import dis_mf.ofx

Select the appropriate Account from the list.

Select the institution as the actual institution that holds the
    account.

You should get the "You have n statements to read" screen.  The
    account you just imported into should show the name account name
    followed by (1).  Click that name.

You should get the pop-up that says "Money found the following
    investment in your brokerage statement:".

Select "This investment is already in my investment portfolio with
    a different name.  I use the following investment in my investment
    portfolio to track this investment:".  From the drop-down list,
    choose the mutual fund you are trying to get rid of.  Click Next.
    When you get the "Are you sure xxxxx is the same investment as
    yyyy?", click Yes.

If you get the screen that says "Do you want to change the ticker
    symbol for xxxx in Money from yyyy to zzzz to match the statement,
    I suggest you click Yes.

Get the screen that says "The positions reported on nn/nn/nn
    statement don't match those in you Money account.  Do you want to
    update your account to match the statement?".  I would select No,
    but it is up to you.  Click Finish.

Now download from your broker for real.

Feel free to suggest improvements to this procedure.

===========Begin dis_mf.ofx=======
    OFXHEADER:100
    DATA:OFXSGML
    VERSION:102
    SECURITY:NONE
    ENCODING:USASCII
    CHARSET:1252
    COMPRESSION:NONE
    OLDFILEUID:NONE
    NEWFILEUID:NONE

<OFX>
    <SIGNONMSGSRSV1>

<SONRS>
    <STATUS>
    <CODE>0
    <SEVERITY>INFO
    <MESSAGE>SUCCESS
    </STATUS>
    <DTSERVER>20040302
    <LANGUAGE>ENG
    <DTPROFUP>20030403
    <DTACCTUP>20040201
    </SONRS></SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
    <INVSTMTMSGSRSV1>

<INVSTMTTRNRS>
    <TRNUID>Zzzz1
    <STATUS>
    <CODE>0
    <SEVERITY>INFO
    <MESSAGE>Success so far with MF displacement
    </STATUS>

<INVSTMTRS>
    <DTASOF>20040302
    <CURDEF>USD
    <INVACCTFROM>
    <BROKERID>YourBrokerOrZzzz2
    <ACCTID>YourAccountOrZzzz3
    </INVACCTFROM>
    <INVPOSLIST>

<POSMF>
    <INVPOS>
    <SECID>
    <UNIQUEID>Zzzz4
    <UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP
    </SECID>
    <HELDINACCT>CASH
    <POSTYPE>LONG
    <UNITS>0.01
    <UNITPRICE>01.00
    <MKTVAL>0.010
    <DTPRICEASOF>20040302
    </INVPOS>
    </POSMF>
    </INVPOSLIST>

</INVSTMTRS>
    </INVSTMTTRNRS>
    </INVSTMTMSGSRSV1>

<SECLISTMSGSRSV1>
    <SECLIST>

<MFINFO>
    <SECINFO>
    <SECID>
    <UNIQUEID>Zzzz4
    <UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP
    </SECID>
    <SECNAME>Zzzz5
    <TICKER>Zzzz6
    </SECINFO>
    </MFINFO>

</SECLIST>
    </SECLISTMSGSRSV1>
    </OFX>

==========END dis_mf.ofx =========

Monday, July 11, 2011 11:24 PM
  • sorry, my minimal knoledge, how do I disassociate the mutual fund?
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:16 PM
  • sorry, my minimal knoledge, how do I disassociate the mutual fund?

Do you understand why you would want to disassociate a security from the
    download process? What is the first part of the description that you find confusing?
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:03 PM
  • sorry again, misunderstanding on my part. Did the disassociation with dis_mf.ofx and followed your instructions.  I have to thank you, your instructions covered everything and I was now able to combine the 2 Vanguard funds. Everything looks good now and thanks again for your patience. 
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:52 PM