Hooking Fn Key (Laptops) RRS feed

• Question

• how can i hook/detect when an FN + Key is preset like: Fn + F11 (Enable/Disable Wireless)

Thanks

sn4k3
    • Moved by nobugz Saturday, July 4, 2009 8:13 PM not a bcl q (From:.NET Base Class Library)
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 3:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Not possible, that's handled by the BIOS.  Windows never sees it.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Not possible, that's handled by the BIOS.  Windows never sees it.

Hans Passant.
    ok, and how HotKey_Driver handleit?

HotKey Driver is a program for some laptops to show an image when disable or enable BT or Wireless for example
    Fn keys work without that driver, it only show an image to animate the action like decrease volume

thanks

sn4k3
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:25 PM
  • I don't know, why don't you send an email to the authors to ask how they did it?  Pretty sure they didn't use the BCL.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:02 PM
  • I think what nobugz is getting at here is that the Fn key is hardware specific.  The device driver has full and privileged interaction with the hardware (it runs in the kernel).  There might very well be no way to get to this from a user application.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 6:19 PM
  • I think what nobugz is getting at here is that the Fn key is hardware specific.  The device driver has full and privileged interaction with the hardware (it runs in the kernel).  There might very well be no way to get to this from a user application.
    maybe not, because HotKey Driver is a simple program runs at startup, also have an icon tray
    one guy modified the program resources to change images to display

so there must be a way to detect that keys

VolumeDown
    VolumeUp
    VomuteMute 
    Play/Pause

is possible not not more

sn4k3
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 7:50 PM
  • The media controls have virtual key codes (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms645540(VS.85).aspx) and are in the System.Windows.Forms.Keys enumeration.  So, not quite the same...
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 2:59 AM