Off Topic: Windows XP File Explorer: how to restore "Text Document" to list of New files that can be created RRS feed

• General discussion

• I want to create a new ASCII text file within a folder (like a Notepad or Wordpad file).  But somehow, in the last few months, my Explorer window only gives me the option to create a new "Text" file, which results in an error when I select it.  It used to give me the option of creating a new "Text Document".  The error it gives when I select "Text" is this:

Unable to create the file "New Text.*"

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

So, how do I fix this so that it knows to create a new .txt file in my folder?  The other options it lists, like Word docs, Excel docs, etc., all still work as before.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 12:50 AM

All replies

• Hi JP

Sorry but if you are not having problems Windows Live OneCare then you are off topic, this forum is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare, you can look for help and an answer here http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx 

chuck

Monday, December 31, 2007 4:54 PM
  • Hi Chuck,

thanks for straightening me out.  I had trouble finding what looked liked a user forum for general questions (MS sites have billions of links but only one that appears to take you where you need to go--if you're lucky to find it), so I took a shot in the dark.  I've never heard of OneCare and thought it was some sort of Windows help forum once I found myself there.  I'll use your link.

JP

Saturday, January 5, 2008 10:29 PM