recreating a member list (eg. like a marketing list) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Could someone please point me in the right direction. I'm trying to recreate something like the marketing list members. That is, when I open a marketing list, on the left navigation pane, there is a link to marketing list members, where I can then add a bunch of people to that specific marketing list. How would I reproduce a member list for a custom entity? It smells like this is created automatically from a relationship, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks,
    Tim Partridge
    Monday, September 1, 2008 8:34 PM

Answers

• Tim-

you are trying to group together some contacts with something in common?  Why not use the marketing lists (if that's hard to wrap your head around calling them marketing lists, change the name to what makes sense)?    Could it also be considered a special type of account maybe?

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 4:21 AM
  • Hi Tim,

I agree with Julie.  It is always best to use what is already created rather than trying to re-create your own custom entities.  However, if it is a unique requirement and you absolutely have to create a custom entity, you are right - it is a relationship.  Create the custom entity i.e. "Custom1" or whatever you need to call it.  Then add a 1 to Many relationship where the child (secondary) entity of the relationship points to the entity you wish to link, i.e. contact, user, account etc.  This will create a is field in the secondary entity that acts as a foreign key to point that entity to the relevant new custom entity.  However, this will allow the linking of the contact to only 1 custom entity at any given time.  If you wish to have the contact linked to multiple custom entities at the same time you are looking for a many to many relationship which is just as easy to create in CRM 4.0.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 7:34 AM

All replies

• Tim-

you are trying to group together some contacts with something in common?  Why not use the marketing lists (if that's hard to wrap your head around calling them marketing lists, change the name to what makes sense)?    Could it also be considered a special type of account maybe?

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 4:21 AM
  • Hi Tim,

I agree with Julie.  It is always best to use what is already created rather than trying to re-create your own custom entities.  However, if it is a unique requirement and you absolutely have to create a custom entity, you are right - it is a relationship.  Create the custom entity i.e. "Custom1" or whatever you need to call it.  Then add a 1 to Many relationship where the child (secondary) entity of the relationship points to the entity you wish to link, i.e. contact, user, account etc.  This will create a is field in the secondary entity that acts as a foreign key to point that entity to the relevant new custom entity.  However, this will allow the linking of the contact to only 1 custom entity at any given time.  If you wish to have the contact linked to multiple custom entities at the same time you are looking for a many to many relationship which is just as easy to create in CRM 4.0.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 7:34 AM