Remote access question RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of installing a new Acer WHS. WHile trying to setup the remote access feature, I got an error. I get green check marks with "verifying that your remote web site is available locally", and "Configuring your router using UPnP standards. I get a red  cross with "Verifying that your remote web site is available from the internet.

The WHS is connected directly to the router, and all the locall access featuers are working fine.

Thanks
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 7:05 AM

Answers

• I figured it out. It was the vonage router that sat between the cable modem and my router. Removed it....and things were just fine.

Thanks guys !!
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 5:26 AM

All replies

• I am in the process of installing a new Acer WHS. WHile trying to setup the remote access feature, I got an error. I get green check marks with "verifying that your remote web site is available locally", and "Configuring your router using UPnP standards. I get a red  cross with "Verifying that your remote web site is available from the internet.

The WHS is connected directly to the router, and all the locall access featuers are working fine.

Thanks

Did you try configuring the router manually?  If you do a port scan at Shields Up! on ports 80, 443, and 4125, what are the results?
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:03 AM
  • Shields Up is all green.
    I manually programmed the router - found another post with the same problem. Apparently my router needs to be programmed manually.

However, that has not solved my problem. I still get the same error described above.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:53 AM
  • That error must not have to say much, since it can also mean, that your router does not support loopback access from your internal network via Internet back to the internal network.
    So simply test from outside of your home, if access works.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:53 AM
  • Shields Up is all green.

I assume by "all green" you mean it said "stealth" for all 3 ports?  If so, that's not good.  Either A) your router isn't pointing to the correct IP address, B) the firewall on your server is not configured correctly or C) your ISP is blocking those ports.

I manually programmed the router - found another post with the same problem. Apparently my router needs to be programmed manually.

However, that has not solved my problem. I still get the same error described above.

Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:22 AM
  • A) the router is pointing to the correct (fixed) IP address for the WHS
    B) This is likely to be the problem. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for ?
    C) I have comcast - so it is unlikely that they are blocking the ports.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:15 AM
  • I figured it out. It was the vonage router that sat between the cable modem and my router. Removed it....and things were just fine.

Thanks guys !!
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Glad you found the solution!

Umm, that would be the Vonage router that you didn't tell us about, right? :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 1:59 PM