Red -- at risk settings should be customizable RRS feed

• General discussion

• I agree with slomike that the onecare setting should not automatically be RED if you choose to be notified that downloads are available for installation.  There are no doubt many folks who like to see what is being installed rather than having it done automatically.  I for one would either like Microsoft to change that feature or make it possible for users to customize onecare settings to allow for GREEN status based on user preferences.

Thanks - noscam
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 7:27 PM

All replies

•  

This a major annoyance and almost a deal-killer for buyers.  I thought twice before signing up, since I like to see my icon green once in a while, and will NEVER set updates to "automatic" for the good reasons explained below.

1.) Many advanced users, travellers, and those on slow or data-restricted connections need to schedule large downloads that can clog their pipe for times and places that are suitable for the user.

2.) Moreover, update's nasty habit of unexpectedly restarting computers without permission tends to lose important data. 

Suppose you are working on a big task and are interrupted, think it is just a one-minute thing, but are gone hours.maybe even overnight.  You come back to find your machine restarted and your work vaporized.  It happens, and far too often.

For real data security -- the security of data in progress -- as explained above, some of us need to have the updates set to notify, not automatic, since updates are a threat to open documents.  

OneCare could, I should think, be set to green when on "notify" and go red only when the notification has been ignored for hours or days, depending on importance, perhaps.

Forcing updates and restarts is a major annoyance, and a source of some considerable dissatisfaction in Microsoft users who feel that Microsoft is insensitive and unresponsive to legitimate user needs and concerns by forcing updates and restarts on systems which need to stay up for good reasons.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 10:22 PM
  • This topic has been discussed repeatedly, but I know it is a major annoyance.

I've replied extensively in the past, too, agreeing that the way that OneCare handles this is less than desirable. In my opinion, *any* selection for AU being on should get you green. Only if updates are available and not installed should your status go to yellow and then red after a period of time - perhaps 24 hours after the initial notification.

Unfortunately, the design of the current process is simplistic - AU for auto download and install or you are at risk. You at least have the ability to schedule the installation to take place overnight or another time that works for you to minimize the impact of a reboot, but there isn't any way to stop the downloads from coming.

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:01 PM
  • Stephen, your idea seems very reasonable and you have no doubt passed that along to MS.  Hopefully, someone on the Onecare team agrees and implements the idea eventually -- until then I will live with red. 
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:47 AM
  • Thanks. I remain hopeful. Yes, I've passed this on a number of times...

-steve

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:23 PM
  • Thanks. I think this important. I know many users are ignoring constant reds, and therefore get used to red and messages from WOC, so any new problems are ignored as well.  The messages on boot become meaningless.

I did not know that the installation can be sheduled separate from the download,  That is good, but useless for those who do not have bandwidth to accept megabytes of d/l at the particular time Windows decides to deliver them.

A specific case is users who may be in their car and using a cellphone as a modem.  Cost per MB is typically huge, in Canada at least, so users will wish to d/l later when on a cheaper high-speed link.
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:55 PM