Is it possible to b/u WHS to device with multiple drives. RRS feed

• General discussion

• History - replaced SATA 4x500gb drives in WHS for 4x1tb SATA drives.

Installed the 4x500gb SATA drives in a Venus eSATA 4 drive box.

Problem - When I first connect the Venus box to WHS server, it shows correctly under the 'Non Storage Hard Drives' heading, as "External Disk 0 SCSI Disk Device: capacity 1.82TB: location Internal (SCSI)".

But - when I run the Add Drive wizard, click 2nd option,  'Use this hd to b/u files that are stored on your home server', the wizard now speaks of a drive of 465.75gb, or, just one drive. The default name is 'FOLDER BACKUP 4'.

Click done at end of wizard, and WHS now shows a device of 'FOLDER BACKUP 4' under heading 'Server Backup Hard Drives' as capacity:465.75 gb, location: Internal (SCSI), status: 100% free.

This leads me to believe the other 3 drives are not being used. Is this possible? Can I force the use of all 4 500gb drives in the Venus enclosure for WHS backup?

Gene
    • Changed type Bumblebeast Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:04 PM solved issue
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:33 PM

All replies

• As an experiment, I added the Venus box with 4 drives to the general pool, it was seen as a new drive of 1.82tb, so that's fine.

Removed it, tried to re-add it as a WHS b/u, and now get an error during the add wizard, " Add Hard Drive Failed", the body of the dialog reads "Drive partitioning and restart required", under that it reads, " The drive does not seem to have a partition. Please create a partition and restart WHS before trying to add the drive."

Oh well............
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:24 PM
  • Just to answer, you can provide backup with this box, but it is unsupported. Just use Flexraid with WHS.
    http://www.openegg.org/forums/posts/list/28.page.

Ben

Ben Ogilvie
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:51 PM
  • DISREGARD - problem appears solved.

Rebooted per direction of error message I mentioned above, reran the add drive wizard to use the Venus enclosure and 4 disks as WHS b/u, renamed it VENUS, reformatted, and now show a 1.82 drive named VENUS ready to serve under 'Server Backup Hard Drives'.

Much ado about nothing I guess.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 5:53 PM