Create new webshare albums using pictures saved in photo share RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to create new albums on the photo webshare using the files that are already stored in the Photos shared folder? It seems that it always wants to upload photos anytime I create a new album. Since all my photos live on the home server anyway, it doesn't seem right to have to upload photos that are already stored on that server.

If I'm creating a new album at home, I can just specify the network share on my server, and it uploads the photos from there. But when I'm not at home, I don't have the same easy access to those photos, so I can't create a new album easily. I'd have to download them to my desktop before I could upload them into a new photo album.

This begs the question...if I'm uploading photos that are already stored in the Photos share on the server, am I effectively storing the file twice? Or is it simply creating an album that has a pointer to the picture that is stored in the Photos share?

I only pretend like I know what I'm doing
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 11:58 PM

All replies

• Not the way you're probably imagining, which is to simply select those photos directly in the WebShare application. And yes, you're effectively storing photos twice if they're in both your shares and the WebShare application.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 31, 2008 3:40 AM
  • That stinks. Do you have any idea where it saves those photo album pictures? Is there a different file structure they are saved in or are they embedded directly into a database somewhere?

Have you ever seen any third-party add-ins that change the web interface? Maybe provide a little more functionality than the built-in site?

I only pretend like I know what I'm doing
    Friday, October 31, 2008 9:48 PM
  • There is a different set of folders in which those files are saved, On your server:

D:\folders\{6F8B59FA-07A0-46D2-B10C-034EA1B39AB0}\Webshare\Albums

There's also a database which contains the WebShare data.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 12:39 AM